A few questions about the MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to the forum and have been doing a few bit of reading and picked up quite a lot from you guys
I've just a few questions about a potential 15" MBP buy if any of you could help:

1. I want to buy one now, is it realistically worth waiting until after the Mac expo in Jan to get one? -Does anyone think there are going to be any MAJOR changes worth waiting off for? i.e If it's small speed increases, a move to Penryn, and maybe an extra port - I'm not that bothered. If it's a Blueray drive, 512mb gfx, a big speed upgrade, then I'd probably hold off.

2. Do these things damage easy? I've had a Mitac 8050 for the last 3yrs, it's served me really well and held up like a trooper.

3. Linked to the last point, does anyone know of any more 'rigid' style sleeves for the MBP's? I'm looking at this sort of design but semi-solid?:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buily-brande...6717737&sr=8-2?tag=
My friend has a sort of solid material sleeve for his Vaio that seems like ideal protection

4. Maybe a big sway on the decision (maybe not?) one of our suppliers at work is selling the MBP brand new at 20% off retail price and seeing as these things are more expensive in the UK than the US (they're $2600 and $3200 for the 2.2GHz and 2.4GHz models over here!) would you say this would be a major factor? Would it sway you? May friend can get the student discount for me but I think thats maybe 17% max?

5. I'm not really upto speed on the hardware side of things, but I try to read as much before buying things. Does Mac hardware tend to hold the test of time pretty well in the market? When I bought 8050, it had a 1.7GHz Pentium M and 128mb Radeon 9700, which has held up pretty well and has only just started to struggle with the sort of games I sometimes play (Command and Conquer, Pro Evolution) - So it's held up for 3yrs Are then any major major hardware changes due in the next 12 or so months or so that are going to make me regret buying the MBP because performance is going to go through the roof? If it's gone at a similar sort of rate as it has for the last 3yrs I think it would be a worthwhile investment

Sorry for the long first post but any advice is appreciated!

TIA

OP
M
Reaction score
*EDIT* - I've found the answer to number three, can anyone offer any help on the others?? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
1. To me if you wait for a mac you'll always be waiting as the next big this is always around the corner. I say get it when you really need it. And I don't think at macworld there'll be too much in the way of macbook upgrades. But can't say for certian, no one apart from Jobs can. The ones out now are pretty good. If you got one now you probably wouldn't regret it. I know I wouldn't.

2. Well if you try to look after it, it should last pretty well. My friend has has his macbook pro a while. He ordered it on the day the new models were released and so far it looks rather good, near mint and he takes it everywhere with him. And out into the outback too. I think it is quite durable. But I've never owned one personally so I can't say from personal experiences.

4. If the guy selling it to you includes all the discs he had when he bought it, it might just be worthwile. Just beware it might have have 10.4 installed on it and not the latest operating system 10.5 Also it might have ilife 06 and not ilife 08 (the later versions) on it. Which will come with the new macbook if you bought it new. So you should ask him what apps and discs he's including with the macbook. Cause it might be better to go for the student discount from your friend. And just take a look at the student store on your countries apple page to see what the student discount actually is.

5. In short yes, very much so.
More detailed answer: for anything other than had gaming it will serve you well for I reckon about 5 years. Sure at the end of the 5 years it might struggle with the then new apps. But it will still run all the basic functions and even some of the more advanced ones quite well. My 5 year old imac still edit audio and photos with the modern software quite well. Sure it struggles a little with video. But it's still a useful machine. Even if in a few years you replace this machine you want to buy now with a newer one, your current one which will be then your old one will still have uses. And macs have a pretty good long term resale value in my opinion. But to crash not but much better then most pcs of similar age.
But for gaming, wihc macs on the whole aren't designed to do, it'll play most games but as it ages it'll struggle with the more modern games. Like in 5 years time. But by then you'll want a new mac anyways. And fr now it'll play most modern games quite well I think.

OP
M
Reaction score
1. To me if you wait for a mac you'll always be waiting as the next big this is always around the corner. I say get it when you really need it. And I don't think at macworld there'll be too much in the way of macbook upgrades. But can't say for certian, no one apart from Jobs can. The ones out now are pretty good. If you got one now you probably wouldn't regret it. I know I wouldn't.

2. Well if you try to look after it, it should last pretty well. My friend has has his macbook pro a while. He ordered it on the day the new models were released and so far it looks rather good, near mint and he takes it everywhere with him. And out into the outback too. I think it is quite durable. But I've never owned one personally so I can't say from personal experiences.

4. If the guy selling it to you includes all the discs he had when he bought it, it might just be worthwile. Just beware it might have have 10.4 installed on it and not the latest operating system 10.5 Also it might have ilife 06 and not ilife 08 (the later versions) on it. Which will come with the new macbook if you bought it new. So you should ask him what apps and discs he's including with the macbook. Cause it might be better to go for the student discount from your friend. And just take a look at the student store on your countries apple page to see what the student discount actually is.

5. In short yes, very much so.
More detailed answer: for anything other than had gaming it will serve you well for I reckon about 5 years. Sure at the end of the 5 years it might struggle with the then new apps. But it will still run all the basic functions and even some of the more advanced ones quite well. My 5 year old imac still edit audio and photos with the modern software quite well. Sure it struggles a little with video. But it's still a useful machine. Even if in a few years you replace this machine you want to buy now with a newer one, your current one which will be then your old one will still have uses. And macs have a pretty good long term resale value in my opinion. But to crash not but much better then most pcs of similar age.
But for gaming, wihc macs on the whole aren't designed to do, it'll play most games but as it ages it'll struggle with the more modern games. Like in 5 years time. But by then you'll want a new mac anyways. And fr now it'll play most modern games quite well I think.

Thanks for your input the8thark :) Regards to point one, I wasn't sure if there was anything 'feasable' just around the corner, but from what I can make out, a Blueray drive, better gfx, a big speed increase - Isn't feasable.
Regards to question 4, the supplier offering it to me 20% is a company supplier we use that would supply it brand new, sealed, under warranty. I was wondering if 20% off one is a good deal, or whether it's common to get a good chunk off the retail price?
Regards to gaming, I'd like to be able to do it but I don't need the most cutting edge card that make a laptop a brick :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.