viruses, Macs, and Myspace

Reaction score
Hi yall. I have read about how most people don't have virus protection software. I don't myself, but today apparently someone got into my myspace account and posted a bulletin and made it look like I wrote it. How could this happen?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm just annoyed!:Angry-Tongue:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
They probably guessed your password.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
There was also something going around that made you log into a fake page after clicking on a bulletin from a friend. The happened to a buddy of mine twice, sneaky people!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
Myspace is horrible.........

AIX

Reaction score
It is called PHISHING people... Before you enter ANY log-in information for ANY site, ALWAYS check the address bar on your browser to make sure you are REALLY at the correct site.

Also, only access such sites by typing in the address yourself - NEVER click weird links!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
It is called PHISHING people... Before you enter ANY log-in information for ANY site, ALWAYS check the address bar on your browser to make sure you are REALLY at the correct site.

Also, only access such sites by typing in the address yourself - NEVER click weird links!

Even that isn't safe anymore. There was something going around that would change your DNS settings and point you to servers that had the correct name, but weren't legit.

It's not a safe world. Be very careful...

T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Even that isn't safe anymore. There was something going around that would change your DNS settings and point you to servers that had the correct name, but weren't legit.

It's not a safe world. Be very careful...

T

Yeah, in all fairness though, that was a really smart move. Poisoning DNS servers isn't exactly a new trick, but to do it on a massive scale by hiding the code in executable quicktime files was ingenious; albeit evil because of the intentions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
you gave them your password while entering it into a fake webpage that someone directed you to
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook. 2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo. 5G 30GB iPod.
that's actually pretty common on myspace; having bulletins not posted by you show up. the solution is to just change your password. should fix it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard
Or just don't use myspace. No one uses it anymore that I know. Used to be the thing.

facebook baby ;)

Not the mac's fault at all. nothing you can do about it really, just be vigilant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
All you need to look out for is the fake pages that bring you to a login screen. If you know that you've already logged in, don't do it again. Always check out the URL... It has nothing to do with your security on your computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.