• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Which Spanish is right for me? help!

Reaction score
Hello

This may seem like a odd question, but I want to learn spanish. Mainly because I want to travel to Mexico and Spain (because I live in Canada, and right now it is....-20)

So, I figure the best way to do this is to purchase one of the Rosetta Stone programs.

To my dismay, there are two programs, one listed as Spanish (latin america) and one listed as Spanish (Spain).

which is the one that would be most helpful for me? Chances are I will be spending more time in Mexico. I ask because I assume is could be differences between how someone from Canada and someone from England speak english.

Any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
From what you say, the Latin America Spanish would appear to be the more useful for you.

And yes, there is quite a difference between the two. I live in Texas and have opportunity to hear a lot of Mexican Spanish (hear, but not understand - I don't speak the language at all). I also travel on business quite a bit, and have been to Madrid on occassion. The same language is spoken in both places, at least in theory, but it sounds VASTLY different.

If you are simply looking to travel to warmer climates that are near you (relatively speaking - even Mexico is a long way from Canada!) I would recommend the Latin American version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD
I would suggest you to get the Latin American Spanish version. This is the type of spanish they teach at my high school. It is slightly more simplified and just over all more commonly spoken between Central and Northern America.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Dialect from Spain is sometimes a little more "formal" than other dialects.
To me, it is similar to the differences between American English and British English. :)

Reaction score
When it comes down to it you'll end up learning better what you like best compared to what's more useful. Oh and on Rosetta Stone, you should try looking up some other courses. If you're a global learner I highly recommend Assimil Spanish with Ease (Spain). If you like to dissect things and master little by little I suggest Platiquemos or FSI Spanish (Latin American). They take you much farther than Rosetta Stone without costing an arm and leg.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
As an alternative to Rosetta Stone, I would recommend Pimsluer CD sets. I picked up a beginner version of Chinese after I had lived in China and learned a little language already. I think their approach was very good.

You can pick them up on Ebay much cheaper then from them directly and when you're done you can sell them on Ebay for about the same price, then pick up the next level. Basically, you don't have to buy every single set and own them after you don't need them any more. Like college textbooks, but you don't get ripped off on the sellback! ;) Maybe this same purchase idea can be used with Rosetta Stone too if you still want to use that program.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.