Some help on deciding...

Reaction score
Really, I've been intent on switching to a Mac for a very long time. I'm a PC user, mainly because my parents refused to buy me a Mac, but now that I've got a steady income of my own, I've decided it's time to grow up out of a PC. I just don't know which (Macbook) is the best for me. A lot of guides are out there to help, but I kind of dabble into everything. Price isn't a HUGE issue, but it still needs to be something reasonable. I don't want to buy this ultra-powerful machine and let it waste OR buy a more inferior machine than I need. Here's a short little rundown of what I'd like to be able to accomplish:

0. Portability
I move a lot. I take notes and then head to the library, then to my aunts' house to babysit, and home for homework and general entertainment. I'm really only looking at laptops, so that I can take power with me.

1. Web browsing
Simple, but I want it done right. Browsing on my Windows comp is sluggish sometimes and I feel like no matter what browser I use, it's like a lot of my comp's resources are getting drained. I'll admit, I usually have 3-5 windows/tabs open for my web browser only, but still... You'd think things would run smoothly.

2. Media
I'm a music collector (pack-rat). I've got tons of it that I love to browse through and listen to a lot of the time. I've also got a lot of music videos, music television shows, and movies that I enjoy watching on my computer. I'd like to be able to enjoy all of my media without many hitches. I also burn CDs infrequently, if it matters at all.

3. Graphics stuff
I'm not a hardcore graphics artist, but going into college next year, I'm going to be taking a few graphics design courses that will require some power on behalf of my computer. Nothing real complex; layout editting, maybe some 2D design.

4. Notetaking, reports
Being in school, I'd like to be able to use my laptop to take some notes and write my reports and papers. Basic typing, really.

5. Minor gaming
I don't game all of the time, but I do do it some. Not WoW or anything that requires a ton of power, but I do like playing some old-fashioned Unreal Tournament and other old junk. It's not a necessity, but it'd be nice.

EDIT: (sorry about this, I totally forgot) 6. Instant Messaging
Sometimes, I have a chat with friends. Having moved completely across the country as old friends, I like to hop on IM ever-so-often and check up on them, as well as with a few pen-pals halfway around the world. Although I doubt their world geography will change how my Mac performs, I'd still like to be able to hold multiple conversations from time to time.

I've set my eyes on the "13-inch, White, 2.2GHz, 2GB memory, 160GB HD" configuration of the MacBook. Is this too much? Not enough? Any other recommendations? Any help at all would be appreciated.

(Also, first post. Looks like a nice community :D )

Reaction score
The MB you are looking at can handle all of those with exception to maybe the gaming without even a Hickup. I have the 2.16Ghz machine and 3GB of ram. I do lots of Photoshop, Web browsing, Word, Excel, and MSG'ing.

The more photoshopping you do, the more ram you will want. 2GB is fast, that model can utilize as much as 4GB.

Gaming can be done, and I am not familiar with demands of the games you listed but I bet that it can handle it. Although, don't expect the best frame rates.

OP
D
Reaction score
I read that it was cheaper to buy memory outside of Apple (which actually is cheaper, looking at prices), but would installing the memory myself (I'm weird and kind of want to go for 3GB, but it's not offered as default by Apple) void any warranties or anything? :Shouting:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
No adding or removing ram doesn't void any apple warranties.

Reaction score
is there any way you could splurge for the cheapest macbook pro? it would suit every one of your needs to the fullest extent and beyond. So even when graphics becomes a big hobby of yours you will still be able to run all the new programs you will start using w/o thinking about a new computer. Also it is a good computer for the not-so-gamer, gamer.

+the more ram the better also.

OP
D
Reaction score
is there any way you could splurge for the cheapest macbook pro? it would suit every one of your needs to the fullest extent and beyond. So even when graphics becomes a big hobby of yours you will still be able to run all the new programs you will start using w/o thinking about a new computer. Also it is a good computer for the not-so-gamer, gamer.

+the more ram the better also.

well, idk. I wasn't really even considering the MBP... How much difference would it be between the the version of MB I'm planning on buying (2.2GHz, 2GB mem, 250GB HD, 13" white) and the cheapest MBP (2.2GHz, 2GB mem, 120GB HD, NVIDIA GT Graphics 128 MB SDRAM, 15" aluminum)? I mean, I know the differences, but how much difference would I feel? I feel kind of =/ about leaving behind the extra HD space and idk if I'll really need that graphics card yet...

and won't the aluminum casing somewhat restrict wireless range? :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
well, idk. I wasn't really even considering the MBP... How much difference would it be between the the version of MB I'm planning on buying (2.2GHz, 2GB mem, 250GB HD, 13" white) and the cheapest MBP (2.2GHz, 2GB mem, 120GB HD, NVIDIA GT Graphics 128 MB SDRAM, 15" aluminum)? I mean, I know the differences, but how much difference would I feel? I feel kind of =/ about leaving behind the extra HD space and idk if I'll really need that graphics card yet...
Performance wise, the only real difference would be in gaming. Photoshop would be a draw. Other than that, there's the disk space as you noted, and the keyboard, display, and size/weight, which are personal choices.

and won't the aluminum casing somewhat restrict wireless range? :eek:
Somewhat. There are plastic antenna windows on the sides of the display, but the reception is not the same.

OP
D
Reaction score
Alrighty guys, thanks for the help. I've decided on the 2.2GHz, 2GB mem, 250GB HD, 13" white MacBook. I'm so excited to finally get off of this pos Windows PC.

Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.