So...what's the deal

Reaction score
I've been a PC forever. My PC Magazine is almost done with it's subscription, however, reading it today....they are so vicious about Mac...they are 85% so who even cares about Mac...they are so insignificant.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I've been a PC forever. My PC Magazine is almost done with it's subscription, however, reading it today....they are so vicious about Mac...they are 85% so who even cares about Mac...they are so insignificant.

Perhaps I'm just not reading your post correctly, but somehow things aren't clicking for me. Is the point of this thread that Macs are insignificant because there's not as many Macs as PCs?

BTW, I love your user name - does it refer to the Atari ST? They used to call it the "Jackintosh" because it was Jack Tramiel's answer to the Amiga and Macintosh after he'd been forced out of Commodore (the company he built) and bought a controlling share in Atari.

M

MacHeadCase

Maybe he'd rather make a subscription to a Mac magazine. :)

MacLife? MacWorld?

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
No....it's a play on my first name with macintosh...and I absolutely love macs.....I started on Apple 25 years ago...and I'm so glad to be back....again...I just don't understand the venom when the wintel has such a large market share....why they carp.....I mean...just because MBP is rated number one among laptop pc's.....big deal...:)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No....it's a play on my first name with macintosh...and I absolutely love macs.....I started on Apple 25 years ago...and I'm so glad to be back....again...I just don't understand the venom when the wintel has such a large market share....why they carp.....I mean...just because MBP is rated number one among laptop pc's.....big deal...:)

Because they're a PC Magazine. Would you want to read how great Windows is in a Mac magazine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2GHz C2D Macbook - 3GB RAM, 80GB HDD
Would you want to read how great Windows is in a Mac magazine?

Definitely not. But, I did get a good laugh when I opened the January Macworld today and saw a full two page spread Sony ad touting the joys of Windows Vista. ;D For some reason, I don't think they are going to convert many Macworld readers to switch to the "Sony VAIO PC/TV with Windows Vista".

But hey, I can't blame them for trying! :Smirk:

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Definitely not. But, I did get a good laugh when I opened the January Macworld today and saw a full two page spread Sony ad touting the joys of Windows Vista. ;D For some reason, I don't think they are going to convert many Macworld readers to switch to the "Sony VAIO PC/TV with Windows Vista".

Hey, as long as they're supporting a Mac magazine, more power to them.... :)

My January issue was delivered a few days ago, but has been sitting on the kitchen counter. Can't wait to see this....

M

MacHeadCase

Maybe they'll just put that expense as a tax write-off or something. ;D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have a video done by the editor of PC Magazine (Former Editor now) on an Intel Mac Mini. He ran it into the ground. Had it in his hand and was tossing it around. Only 4 USB ports he said. What do they want on a machine so small? 64 USB ports? Jim Louderback has always been very Anti Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I have a video done by the editor of PC Magazine (Former Editor now) on an Intel Mac Mini. He ran it into the ground. Had it in his hand and was tossing it around. Only 4 USB ports he said. What do they want on a machine so small? 64 USB ports? Jim Louderback has always been very Anti Macs.
My girlfriend has a Dell laptop, and was telling me that my MBP had "Too few holes in it to put stuff."

I don't know why I'd have to sync my iPod, upload my photos, backup my files, and use my USB powered fan at the same time.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My girlfriend has a Dell laptop, and was telling me that my MBP had "Too few holes in it to put stuff."

I don't know why I'd have to sync my iPod, upload my photos, backup my files, and use my USB powered fan at the same time.

The 15" MBP to me could use 1 or 2 more USB ports. There is room for them, but the Mini for it's small size is fine the way it is with 4. One can always buy an USB hub if you need more. I know on a Notebook it's a pain to cart a USB Hub around, but in the field I really don't need that many ports. At home it's a different story.

AIX

Reaction score
Macs don't need as many USB ports if people get the wireless keyboard and mouse... Personally, I always hated how PCs use USB for a keyboard and house... to me it was always wasting two ports...

Macs are designed to not need the mess of 16 cords like PCs do... Only thing I would change about my iMac's USB ports is to make them easier to reach

Reaction score
AIX hit the nail on the head. It ain't always the number of USB ports that matter, it's where they are. Logically, the place for USB ports would be either at the front or at the side for easier reach to plug cables in and remove them.
Still, as long as I have a slot for my keyboard I don't care. The keyboard has 2 extra slots for my mouse and coffee warmer pad. lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.16 GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD. 16 GB Wi-Fi iPad, 16 GB iPhone 3GS.

I also noticed that ad in the newest MacLife magazine and found it pretty amusing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
AIX hit the nail on the head. It ain't always the number of USB ports that matter, it's where they are. Logically, the place for USB ports would be either at the front or at the side for easier reach to plug cables in and remove them.
Still, as long as I have a slot for my keyboard I don't care. The keyboard has 2 extra slots for my mouse and coffee warmer pad. lol

The keyboard gives off enough power to run the heating pad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
non-usb 2.0 devices

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macOS Big Sur V.11.2.3 iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2019) 3.1GHz 6 Core Intel Core i5, 16 GB DDR4 SSD,
Windows Vista is exactly the reason I am a proud iMac user now. I wouldn't go back to that mess for any reason. Because of the Vista experience, I am going to wait a few months to get Leopard too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Iphone 8gig, inherited powerbook (beer+mac=power-brick)
plain and simple

They are all just so hostile because the fact that theyve already wasted thier time, money, hours screaming (and ripping out hair) using a unfavorable os and settling for sub-par performance. People are passionate about decisions they make and defend them right or wrong. when they see something better than what they have thats sleeker easier and well sexier than what already commited to they try to complain about all over it to feel better. I am waiting to switch but im sold already love mac. use an emachine so i REALLY love mac. People fear change and seeing something different is also a deterrent to some people. those are my 2 reasons and .02 on what the sneers and HULLABALLOO is all about.

Not a fanboy just enlightened :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.