What can I do in this situation?

Reaction score
I've had my Mac for about 2 months now, and the screen started to go out, along with a few other issues. I took it into the store to have it looked at, and they sent it in for repair. They told me it would be 5 to 7 days. It's been over a week now, and when I check the status it says on hold.

This is my main work computer. I was ok with using my backup computer until it got fixed, but that crashed the other night. Now I have to go out of town for work tomorrow, and have no computer to take with me.

Do I have any options here?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Did you call the store to see if they could help you or provide any information?

OP
Jhorra
Reaction score
I went down to the store, and they said they can only see what I see and I would have to call Apple Care.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Did you give AppleCare a call?

OP
Jhorra
Reaction score
They said the parts on hold and could take up to 5 or 6 more days before I get it back. If I knew this was going to be a problem I would have just dealt with it. I can't go 2 weeks without my computer.

OP
Jhorra
Reaction score
Can I do that? Would it work? Who should I call? Any advice on how to go about it?

Reaction score
Phone AppleCare, explain what's happened, that the long delay (make sure you tell them the part is on back order, that there is no way to know how long it will take to fix), is unacceptable, and that you want a new machine ASP because your work demands it.

OP
Jhorra
Reaction score
Well, I called Apple Care, and they basically told me they could do nothing and to try the store. I called the store, and first they indicated they would talk with the Geniuses and get back to me. It's not looking to promising so far.

M

MacHeadCase

Tell 'em... uhm... you gotta pay the rent and your work tool is MIA because of them. :D

OP
Jhorra
Reaction score
Well, it turns out for some reason my laptop wasn't shipped to Apple Care until 4 days after I brought it in. Since that put it past 10 days and the part was on back order she was willing to exchange it for me. Unfortunately, she couldn't exchange it until they got the other laptop back. She put an escalation in to send it back without repairing it, but I leave tomorrow morning, and it would have gotten here to late. What we ended up doing was I purchased the exact same laptop, then when mine comes back she will refund the price for it, and it would be just as if I exchanged it.

So, not the ideal solution, but they did help me in my time of need, and I have a computer to work on again. Now I can give this beast of a windows machine I borrowed back.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
it is good to hear they found a solution for you.

Reaction score
Glad that Apple came through for you, though the solution is a bit awkward. They would've let it ride, though, had you not pushed back. The squeaky wheel, and all that.

OP
Jhorra
Reaction score
I made sure I was very polite but persistent with everyone I spoke with.

Reaction score
Casually carrying a shotgun over your arm works wonders, huh? lol

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.