CD-Rs and CD-RWs

Reaction score
Ok. Let me see if I can ask my question in a way that makes sense. ;)

With my PC, I was able to write files to a CD-R at any time. Meaning that even if I had previously written to the CD-R, I could add additional files at a later date. (Thus: It was not read-only after initial writing.) I used CD-Rs to backup all my photo files. I was told by a PC professional that CD-Rs had more long-term reliability than CD-RWs, thus my choice of disk format.

Now, with my Mac, I cannot add additional files to a CD-R, as it is read-only. If this can't be worked around, CD-Rs are not going to work for backup disks when I am continually adding new files.

So my questions are:

1. Is it really true that CD-Rs will be less likely to go bad on me down the road, as compared to CD-RWs. These photos are very important to me, and I want to be sure I protect them as much as I can. (I also upload them to an online site as additional backup, but I really want a CD backup as well.)

2. Is there a way to continue to write to CD-Rs on a Mac, or am I pretty much stuck? (Can I somehow change the format so it's not read-only, maybe on my PC?)

Grrr! Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
You will need to use Toast Titanium or BurnAgain to do multi session discs. Only DVDs are not yet supported with multi session burning (DVD-RWs yes, but not DVDRs).

1. Yes, CDRs are better than CD RWs. The rewritables give horrible reliability. One minute they work, another, they fail. I'd suggest you get an external drive and backup your pictures that way. Don't rely on just one type of backup.

OP
E
Reaction score
Is there any free software out there, or am I stuck buying something? That irks me a bit, as I was able to do it at no cost on my PC. Grr.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm. Both those apps I've mentioned come at a price (although burnagain would definitely be cheaper than Toast). However, when you buy Toast, you are buying an amazing burning app as well. It's almost a must for a mac user. I tried Disco (not sure if that supports multi session, you will have to check) but it turned out some coasters here and there...

Reaction score
Good get, DevilBoy! I have always thought that burning a multi-session CD was not possible without Toast. Thanks!

OP
E
Reaction score
Awesome. Just spent some time fooling around with Disk Utility and can now do multiple burn sessions. Learned the hard way that the originating folder is the name that will be assigned to the disk, regardless of what I name the disk image. :eek: Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 2.4G 320G HD OS Snow Leopard. Win7 on Dell PC Inspiron i5 8g Ram 1TB HD
Write again on CD's

I'm using Leopard, where do I find Disk Utility? Thanks for any help Van

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
I'm using Leopard, where do I find Disk Utility? Thanks for any help Van

In the Utilities Folder. /Applications/Utilities

Or in the Finder under the Go menu.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@vank66: In future, always use the magic power of Spotlight!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 2.4G 320G HD OS Snow Leopard. Win7 on Dell PC Inspiron i5 8g Ram 1TB HD
When I go to applications/utilities/disk utilities, all I get is a page full of folders-must be doing something wrong? I also tried spotlight,it bringd me to a page of downloads, none resemble Disk Utility.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe a screenshot of Finder in the column view? Not really getting what you are saying...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Goobi,
I'm brand new to Mac. I go to finder,click on Go,then utilities and al I get is a blank page where is Disk Utilities that should be in this folder?Does that make anymore sense? Van

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Goobi,
In Finder, I clicked GO,then utilities,there is nothing in the Utility folder,should Disk Utility be there? Van

OP
E
Reaction score
vank66, I did it exactly like you described. Once I clicked "go" and then "utilities," it displayed the utilities folder in Finder. I then had to click on that folder to get it to display its contents. I only had to do it the first time I tried it; now I can't duplicate it. *shrug* Does clicking the Utilities folder work for you?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Disk Utility should be there in Applications > Utilities folder. In that should be your other utilities like bootcamp assistant, airport configuration and other such apps. If it's not there then something is wrong with your installation.

OP
E
Reaction score
I'd suggest you get an external drive and backup your pictures that way. Don't rely on just one type of backup.

Any suggestions for what to buy as far as an external drive goes? I know nothing about those.

And, I have a SanDisk 1GB memory card with adapters for use with my cell phone. Any recommendations for card readers?

Thx!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.