How to rip a cd as one long mp3 file? with itunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I want to rip a cd to mp3 in itunes. Yes that's rather easy to do I know. But the catch is for one particular cd I want the end result as one long mp3 file of the entire cd, not one mp3 per cd track as what usually happens in itunes.

I know I can record the cd in real time to get this cd as one mp3 but is there a way of doing this without having to do this?

Reaction score
First off I'm thinking importing to iTunes then create a GarageBand project and add the songs then have them top to tail and export them back into iTunes for burning to disc.

Then I wonder if you can create a playlist of these songs in iTunes, then do a Get Info on each song and play about with the Start/Stop times in the Options Tab so that the songs play pretty much without any gaps and you might be able to tell iTunes that they are part of "A Gapless Album".

I'm not sure if this would work or if it did whether it would burn properly like that to a disc.

I read that Jam (which I think comes with a version of Toast) could do what you want but apparently if you are running Tiger, you can no longer use Toast or Jam to burn protected AAC files. This may have changed though as the date of that source is quite old now and they were probably talking about a much earlier version of Toast. The app Jam may no longer even come with Toast for all I know.

I'll keep on searching but I have to head out for a while.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I followed your idea with Garage band and just exported the end result as a aac file which I converted to mp3 with itunes. Worked like a charm. Thank you so much.

If there was an app that could do this that'd be really nice to know but for an alternate work around the garageband thing is a good little tip to know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
You could just rip the CD normally, then navigate to finder, open one of the MP3 files in Quicktime. then drag and drop the rest of the files in the same quicktime window one by one to create a long stream. Then do a Save As and you should be done...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 17" 1.67 GHz 1.5 GB RAM 100GB 60GB 5G iPod
Couldn't you use "Join Tracks" in iTunes?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.