Transfer Video from CamCorder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Hey guys, I have a Cannon video camera model:Z850; and I can't figure out how to transfer my video from it (it uses miniDV cassettes), when I plug the USB cord from it into my MacBook it doesn't even see it, some one help please!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2GHz C2D Macbook - 3GB RAM, 80GB HDD
I'm not familiar with your particular camera, but is it really USB, or is it a Firewire connection?

When you say it doesn't see it, do you mean that when you go into iMovie or iDVD and try to import, it isn't there? Or are you expecting the camera to show up somewhere (like it does on Windows I believe)?

A really simple way to test it to connect it up and then go to iDVD and do a "OneStep DVD".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive, OS X 10.5.1
You may need a Firewire connection. I have heard of people not being able to download video off USB.

OP
The Vindicat3d
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not familiar with your particular camera, but is it really USB, or is it a Firewire connection?

When you say it doesn't see it, do you mean that when you go into iMovie or iDVD and try to import, it isn't there? Or are you expecting the camera to show up somewhere (like it does on Windows I believe)?

A really simple way to test it to connect it up and then go to iDVD and do a "OneStep DVD".
well, I'm expecting it to show up under devices or something and also it's not showing up under iMovie =[[ and yes it's really USB

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
IIRC you can only transfer video from a Camcorder via Firewire. It will not show up under devices, but it should be recognized by iMovie. If it's not, I'm guessing it needs to be Firewire.

I think the newer HDD based cameras may be different though.

OP
The Vindicat3d
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Does your cam have a Firewire port?

USB is mainly for transferring pictures and wouldn't work with movies.

As Baggss correctly points out you need a Firewire cable ... I think it's a 4-pin to 6-pin .... someone will need to verify that one ....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2GHz C2D Macbook - 3GB RAM, 80GB HDD
Yep, 4 to 6 pin is correct, also referred to as an i-link cable if you purchase it from a camera store.

I looked up the camera in question, and it does have firewire, so a fw cable should take care of it. :)

Reaction score
What happens when iMovie imports the video? Does it save it somewhere on the harddrive? Is there a way to just import the raw video?

Thanks, I'm new to the Mac.

Reaction score
Here's an Amazon link to the correct cable.

4 pin to 6 pin FireWire

The USB port on the camera is for transferring the photos and the FireWire(Apple) or i.Link(Sony) is used for video. HDD based cameras can transfer via USB but those cameras record in Mpeg-2, so you're going to have to jump through a few hoops and perform a rain dance before iMovie will recognize it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.