• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Do you have any accents?

Reaction score
I have a British accent (Londoner) when I talk. How about you? Discuss.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0GHz MacBook
I wish I did. I'm from Vancouver, but I'm currently studying abroad in Glasgow. I've fallen in love with the Glaswegian accent!

Reaction score
I was born in the Midwest so I don't have any accent.......:D :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i have a southern accent cuz i am from texas and i live in florida. but because i am in the military, i have found that i can adapt to other accents if i am around them. i.e. i was aboard the HMS Edinburgh and i developed an english accent while i was there. we were in boston last month and i gained a boston accent while i was there too. i am also fluent in southern trailer park too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Everyone has an accent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
If you live in the general area to where you were born and raised, chances are to you and those around you, you don't have an accent. :D

Reaction score
Wild birds have regional accents, too, according to scientists who study such things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I've always been interested in phonetics, especially English accents, since reading Pygmalion in school.

I'm from the midwest. I would say I speak with a midwest accent, (or Indiana accent), but I've heard so many different subtle accents here, I wouldn't want to pin myself down to one that you might hear on while passing through the state.

I saw a behind the scenes show on the movie "The Hunt for Red October" and the guy playing the senator who talks to the Russian ambassador is supposed to be from Indiana and have an "Indiana Accent". I've heard a lot around this state, but never heard anyone speak like that!

It's funny when you live in a rather homogeneous area and know or work with one person with an accent from another place. Often the local people are amused by it and constantly mimic it. Even though they mean no harm by it, I bet it drives the person with the accent crazy.

Everyone has an accent.

Exactly!

Wild birds have regional accents, too, according to scientists who study such things.

That's pretty interesting. That's the kind of Discovery Channel show I would watch but would probably make most people want to jump out a window.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I grew up in the south, so when I get around folks from there I tend to get my accent back quickly. Both of my daughters lean towards that Southern California "Valley Girl" accent even though I don't live in or really near the valley. Other than that I don't have an accent that is geographical, but as schweb said, we all have an accent.

I always find it odd that people from Minnesota, North Dakota and the far upper Midwest tend to have the same accent as Hawaiians.

Reaction score
I always find it odd that people from Minnesota, North Dakota and the far upper Midwest tend to have the same accent as Hawaiians.
Holy moly. Would that extend into Manitoba? Probably. Hawaii and Manitoba. What a concept.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Holy moly. Would that extend into Manitoba? Probably. Hawaii and Manitoba. What a concept.

Yep. You notice it in the long "YAAA" and some other areas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
Though I don't hear it, I probably have a bit of a Chicago accent to some people....da Bears.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I guess I have a California accent since I was born and raised in first the Bay area then LA area and back to the almost bay area again!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have a blue accent wall in the Dining Room.

Ain't no doubt - south Texas / hill country drawl.
You'd think I never had no schoolin'. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have a blue accent wall in the Dining Room.

Interesting. Every room in my house, except the bathrooms, has an accent wall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I have a very ordinary English accent

But if I am talking to posh people my accent becomes a little upper middle class. If I am among more ordinary folks my accent becomes just a little Mockney (false cockney for those who don't know)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.