mp4 files on mac leopard

Reaction score
I'm the new switcher to mac os. Buying the new macbook or pro (not decided). Will do some video editing with it. I hv also recently bought a HD video cam (sanyo HD1000). The video files are all in MP4 or H.264 format and all in full HD1080 i resolutions.
Can my new macbook/pro view or edit mp4 files...? IMovie can edit files in mp4 in full HD? If not, what do i have to do, converting to some other format? will it lose the resolutions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I know you can view them, but not being a big iMovie user I can't be sure about editing.

Also, make sure your camera has a Firewire output port (the one you listed doesn't). IIRC, you can only pull video to a Mac from the camera via FireWire unless that has changed lately.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
iMovie supports editing in HD...it even has it in the title of the program, iMovie HD. :p

If you buy a Mac now, it will come with iLife '08, which has iMovie HD '08. A lot of people have complained that certain features were taken out, so Apple has made the download of iMovie HD '06 free to '08 users. You can use whichever version strikes your fancy.

As for the firewire importing of video, I'm not sure whether that requirement has changed or not lately, but as far as I DO know, it is still the industry standard for video transfer.

Reaction score
I can't speak for iMovie '06 but iMovie '08 supports importing HD video from a USB Camcorder such as the HD1000 if you're set on getting that one.

I have iLife '08 with iMovie '08 and just successfully imported an mpeg4 movie file into a project.

This is a section of the dialogue that came up when I clicked on import movies ....

picture_3-20071202-194433.jpg

iMovie '06 would have to be the same when it comes to importing mp4.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.