Curious to know............

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I'm new to Apple just got my first iBook G3 never used a mac before. First let me say that i love this machine it so simple and easy to use and it runs circles around my wifes brand new toshiba. I'm curious to know it seems like mac is the better OS over Windows (which i don't care for) why don't all computer companies just put Mac OS on there computers instead of windows. Mac OS seems much more advanced than windows. If Mac is better why is everyone buying windows based computers i regret not switching over years ago......to me it seems like logical togo with the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard
People just are afraid of the change. They think the OS is hard to use because the have no patience.. It's sad really.

It's quite amusing when old macs can outperform new pcs :D

OP
bargsbeer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
it's worth the shot i urge everyone to buy a Mac!!! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I'm new to Apple just got my first iBook G3 never used a mac before. First let me say that i love this machine it so simple and easy to use and it runs circles around my wifes brand new toshiba. I'm curious to know it seems like mac is the better OS over Windows (which i don't care for) why don't all computer companies just put Mac OS on there computers instead of windows. Mac OS seems much more advanced than windows. If Mac is better why is everyone buying windows based computers i regret not switching over years ago......to me it seems like logical togo with the Mac.

1) Apple does not license the OS to other vendors. This means that the OS can not be run, legally, on a Dell, Toshiba HP, Sony or whatever. You have to buy the hardware from Apple to get the OS.

2) Apple does not target the business market with their products. As such, many businesses don't feel they are being catered to sufficiently. It is easier to stick with what you know despite the fact that the longer you stay the more you get locked in with licensing agreements.

3) All of those IT managers out there went through great pains to become MS certified (MCSE etc). As such they are not going to recommend putting themselves out of a job regardless of the system. Linux faces a similar challenge.

4) Many businesses do not feel that Macs are "professional" enough and that they are simply "pretty" and not "real" computers. This has been going on for years.

5) Software. There is nowhere near the software infrastructure available for the Mac as there is for Windows. While this often means a lesser number of Apps it generally also means better Apps overall (how many DVD burning Apps do you really need?). Specialty software can get expensive.

6) Hardware. Aside from having to buy the machine from Apple, not all the hardware out there will work on a MAc. Much of it will, especially the basics (keyboard, mouse, printers etc). Many hardware makers see no point in writing software for the Mac or making drivers for OSX.

Reaction score
First let me say that i love this machine it so simple and easy to use and it runs circles around my wifes brand new toshiba.
yeah, but that's not really fair because toshiba computers are generally crappy anyway; at least in my personal experience. i had a toshiba laptop and hated it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook / Mac Mini
I'm actually glad Mac has such a low market share... why? Because it makes Apple work harder at being the best, solid, fun and sexy hardware/software provider.

Quality doesn't always make quantities.

And I so egocentric that I actually find it fun to be the black sheep among my friends ;)

"What, you have a virus my friend? That would never happen on my Mac..."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Like you say, you hated the Toshiba

and love the mac, its an emotional thing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 2.6GHz i5 8GB RAM 1TB HDD OSX Yosemite
Speaking of quality... Little story here. After I bought my mac I was showing it to a friend. He was fairly impressed although the price was slowing him down a bit. He thought hey I'll bring my 6 month old HP 15" in to compare the two. The comparing stopped at the screens because my mac blew his HP away. His was nowhere as bright or vivid. That's why I've got the mac... Now I must admit that if you compared the specs of the two his was inferior, thus the extra cost of my mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now I must admit that if you compared the specs of the two his was inferior, thus the extra cost of my mac.

But I bet if you compared an HP spec'd closely to your Mac, that price difference would be significantly less if not non-existent.

OP
bargsbeer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why doesn't Apple license the OS to other computer companies? I'm sure some companies would walk away from Microsoft.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To put it simply, Apple doesn't want to. Steve Jobs (Apple's CEO and co-founder) is a control freak and wants to retain control over the whole process, hardware and software. While this has the effect of limiting the exposure of the system it has made Apple a top company in the computer world. This same mania for control also led directly to the iPod/iTunes success (something other DAP makers including MS have yet to grasp). The tight integration of the Hardware and the software has proven to be a success despite the fact that one would think the contrary to be true.

Dell, who's founder advised Apple to "close it's doors and give the money back to the Stockholders" back in the 90's, has even come forth and publicly stated that if Apple were to license OSX, they would sell it on their machines. Apple isn't budging.

Apple has maybe 6% of the worldwide market share of PCs but their stock is pushing $190/share and iPods and Macs are big sellers. Not bad for a company that was "dead" back in 1997.

OP
bargsbeer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thats interesting to read it sounds like Jobs is not in it for the money or else he would be licensing his software out.Also i read somewhere that he does not take a salary from Apple ?

Reaction score
He's officially making a $1 per year Salary from Apple (thus also giving him the Guinness world record for lowest paid CEO...), but of course the company pays him handsomely in stock options, bonuses, etc...you can believe he's not hurting for money :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thats interesting to read it sounds like Jobs is not in it for the money or else he would be licensing his software out.Also i read somewhere that he does not take a salary from Apple ?

If you would like to read more about Apple, it's history, Steve Jobs, the development of the Mac or the iPod, Here is a fairly comprehensive list of books on the subject(s) with links to Amazon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 2.6GHz i5 8GB RAM 1TB HDD OSX Yosemite
Agreed baggss... As a matter of fact there not really readily available either...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.