NewSwitcher-HelpWithMacBook2PlayDivX/MKV

Reaction score
Hello People,

So I was in the MAC store today to pick up a case for my iPhone and eventually walked out with a black MacBook 2GB RAM and the whole AppleCare thing.

I a moderate-techie when it comes to WinXP, Vista and have managed to get Fusion installed, Vista32 (withSound) working and that's where my problem starts.

I installed VLC because most of the posts I have read said it pretty much played anything. I also installed the DivX player from the official DivX site, flip4Mac or something for WMV playback on MAC and few additional components like AC3 to get DivX to play in QuickTime(I have pro version...store guy was kind enough to give it for free:) ah and a sleeve and record bag for the case. I bought everything for just under £12000 which is the exact price via the website so I am not complaining at all about the deal:))

I copied over a few avi/ogm/mkv's to test it all out and NONE of the files play properly in QuickTime, VLC or VMware'ed Vista with K-lite codec/CCC packs installed.

I get sound and picture but both VLC/QT just die on me and Vista32...the files plays but is sooooo coppy its not even funny...feels like playing crysis with a 6600GT at 1920x1200...painful.

I have tried to find a way to play using all the forums and stuff...finally I signed up to this one first...so people...please help me out.

Otherwise...really happy with the MB...I was going to get 4GB but I think 2GB is fine as I can give a gig to vista and the rest to Leo so it works out fine...and its not like I am going to be running vista 24/7.

So people...can u get back to me...pretty please with a cherry on top.

Ah...also...what do people use to sort out there firewall? I was thinking of using WaterRoof...is there anything that does everything in one hit for the FW?

Thank u very much for all ur help in advance.

JenBell

PS: The AppleStoreGuy:patrick was like uber-nice to me. I even got the iPhoneCase I went in for originally free...and no I did so not give him my number...like my friend thought...I was simply nice to him...actually I think he kind of dig'ed the whole geeky chic mindset thing I had going on but u never know...er....right? Maybe it had something to do with us both speaking Korean (I cursed in Korean and we just started talking and that was it....ah...way OT...sry...note2self...must stay on topic...aye me lass...-_-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
I can't help you with much, but I would suggest just getting a hardware firewall which would take care or Vista, Leopard and any other Computers connected to your network.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks Vind...already have a 3-tier HW FW system in place (CPs, ASAs and custom mono-kernel BSD) but still always run a software FW/AV to protect the OS from itself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.