Giff problem

Reaction score
A friend has sent me an animated Gif as an email attachment. On my iMac it will not animate but on my PC it works fine. Any ideas please?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Try this and let me know if it works. Drag the .Gif into a Safari Window. It should show it and the animation also.

M

MacHeadCase

Can you do a screencapture of the email you got?

The attachment should be there somewhere: sometimes it'll be a small generic icon, depending on how your settings are. This is of course if you use Mail.app. If you use other email apps, I'll have to let someone else drop in this thread.

I've just realized that if you can't see the attachment, you might look in the Mail downloads folder. The path is this:

Macintosh HD -> Users -> your user account -> Library -> Mail Downloads

If you still can't see it there, maybe you deleted from the server this email without saving to your computer the attachment first?

That's all the possible scenarios I can see for now.

OP
fixerman
Reaction score
Can you do a screencapture of the email you got?

The attachment should be there somewhere: sometimes it'll be a small generic icon, depending on how your settings are. This is of course if you use Mail.app. If you use other email apps, I'll have to let someone else drop in this thread.

I've just realized that if you can't see the attachment, you might look in the Mail downloads folder. The path is this:

Macintosh HD -> Users -> your user account -> Library -> Mail Downloads

If you still can't see it there, maybe you deleted from the server this email without saving to your computer the attachment first?

That's all the possible scenarios I can see for now.

I didn't receive an email. I am referring to the post from Dtravis on which I could not see the .gif to which he referred.

M

MacHeadCase

A friend has sent me an animated Gif as an email attachment. On my iMac it will not animate but on my PC it works fine. Any ideas please?

I didn't receive an email. I am referring to the post from Dtravis on which I could not see the .gif to which he referred.

Ok you are talking about after you dragged it to the desktop, yes?

If you can't see the .gif in your Safari window it might be because the .gif file is corrupted.

OP
fixerman
Reaction score
Ok you are talking about after you dragged it to the desktop, yes?

If you can't see the .gif in your Safari window it might be because the .gif file is corrupted.

The original .Gif that I referred to was attached to an email and was visible as an attachment which I dragged to the desktop and it would not animate. I copied it to my Windows PC and it animated. I hope it has uploaded with this post!

Attachments

• image.gif
    image.gif
    179.5 KB · Views: 13
M

MacHeadCase

You can see animated .gifs with the Xee app. But dragging the file in a web browser window will show its animation as well.

Good luck! :)

OP
fixerman
Reaction score
You can see animated .gifs with the Xee app. But dragging the file in a web browser window will show its animation as well.

Good luck! :)

Got it!:D I dragged into Safari and it animated. Thank you all for your patience. I'm on a pretty steep learning curve!:Grimmace:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Glad it's sorted out. :)

I was pretty sure that would work as I do it here all the time.

Thanks MHC for the tip on Xee. Never knew it would show Animated Gif's.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.