Are there any unhappy switchers?

Reaction score
We keep hearing all about people who are delighted after switching to macs. Are there people who are unhappy with their switch to macs, even after prolonged used?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Some are, usually its because OS X doesnt behave enough like windows and they won't accept the different way of doing stuff.

Reaction score
You probably won't find many disappointed switchers here. Mainly because they wouldn't be hanging around a Mac forum to talk about something they don't like. They'd probably be on a Windows forum talking about how much they don't like OSX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac base
Let me preface this by saying I've only had my iMac for about a week. But..
Honestly, it's not hugely different. Yeah, there are a little different ways of doing things, but it's not like learning how to use a computer all over again.
Personally I can't wait till I can pack up the PC and get rid of all of the wires and speakers and huge monitor. And if you're not happy just load windows on and boot into that. Then you just have a really pretty windows box. The thing is, a Mac can act like a windows machine (for the most part) but there is no way a PC can act like a Mac. I have found that I really like Expose and Spaces, iWeb..easy, iWork..very nice, Safari..okay, Mail..pretty good, iPhoto..great. I haven't got into a lot of other stuff yet but I'm sure I'll like them equally well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Macbook Pro, 2GB RAM, OSX v10.5
I switched about two months ago, and can't say I'm overly impressed. I'm also not disappointed. I have some moments of frustration with practically disabled versions of the various messenger programs, and I've run into some infuriating compatibility issues when traveling overseas (it seems like there are about 2 Macs in the whole of Russia - mine included)...

But those frustrations are offset by things like instantly connecting via BlueTooth to my phone with no extra software. The neat abilities of iPhoto to manage my photo library and create books, calendars, etc... Probably my favorite feature is Spotlight, though. It's just an amazing piece of search technology.

From the software perspective, I think it's an even call. There are strengths and weaknesses to both OSes. I enjoyed switching, and even if it's frustrating at times, at least it's not boring. I'm happy to have some interest in learning how to use the system again. I mean, it's nice that running Windows comes so naturally, but it's even better to have some sense of wonder again.

What really sold me was the hardware. Setting aside the beauty, I've found my MacBook Pro to be a wonderful buy. The keys are the best laptop keys I've ever used, and lighting them up is a really nice touch in low light. The machine runs quieter than any laptop I've ever owned (I swear I thought my Alienware would achieve altitude one day given how hard the fans worked cooling it)...

So, I guess to answer more simply - I'm 50/50 on OSX, and not at all unhappy with the hardware.

J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reigns surpeme
Glad that i made the switch. Only use window based computer at work. Love MAC OSX

Reaction score
Switch

Made the swithc, so glad I did, its the best thing I have done for myself and my photo editing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
I see this has turned into another switchers rejoice thread eh! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
I love my mac... my very first computer was a mac.. then I got a PC for xmas one year.... I swore up and down for the first 3 months cuz I hated it. But glad I know how to run both..... but macs are fun! For me anyway.

The only little glitch I have about macs (and it's not macs fault) is that I prefer the PC version of Yahoo over the mac version. Mac version is extremely limited. I like being able to "share photos" over Yahoo when i'm talking to another yahoo person.. Can't share Photos on the mac version. Have to do "file transfer" or just simply email it over.

My only gripe....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Getting one for Xmas!!
Anyone know why? I ordered my iMac form a dealer here October 29th cause he wanted to wait until Leopard was out. It still has not arrived. I did order the top of the line with all the memory & stuff you could get. Almost $4,000. Anyone know what the problem could be?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD, Radeon 2600 PRO 256mb, CS3 Master Collection
If you just bought a mac with tiger, contact apple. They'll give you Leopard probably for free, but worst case, 10 bucks. Don't wait for your dealer to come around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Considering a Mac... hopefully
Anyone know why? I ordered my iMac form a dealer here October 29th cause he wanted to wait until Leopard was out. It still has not arrived. I did order the top of the line with all the memory & stuff you could get. Almost $4,000. Anyone know what the problem could be?

Thanks.

Whoah?!? $4000 for an iMac? I would think that the pricing is ridiculous even with everything maxed out! :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Whoah?!? $4000 for an iMac? I would think that the pricing is ridiculous even with everything maxed out! :eek:

Ridiculous?... yeah, but certainly possible.
If you were to buy a 24" iMac/2.8 GHZ model with these Apple-added extras:
* 4GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB
* 1TB Serial ATA Drive
* Apple wireless Mighty Mouse
* Apple Wireless Keyboard
* iWork '08
* .mac 1-year basic membership
* AppleCare Protection Plan for iMac

It would run you $3,816.95 (pre-tax).
Add in the 6% PA sales tax ($229) and you get a total of $4045.95

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel (unibody), 2 GB RAM; iPhone 3Gs
i'm totally OCD with the way things look... mac makes it look all sexy, really, i'm thrilled with the way it's all working out. i wouldn't go back to PC. so far i like everything about mac any more than with PC. it really blew me away i didn't think i'd be impressed at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
Are there people who switch the opposite way, from Macs to PCs?

once you go mac you never go back ;)

yea people switch back and forth all the time...mostly due to not having the proper software to run on the mac that they need for work...or ti doesnt play well with their works VPN or something like that....but bootcamp, parallels, vmware etc are quickly solving all these problems.....plus i heard rumor that apple was implementing full support of .exe files in the future
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
Mac -> PC (had no choice) -> Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i had to get rid of all my macs for a while and i am now on my getto PC....aka a motherboard, psu, 2HD's and a dvdr drive sitting on my desk without a case
-chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.