removing administrator

Reaction score
I acquired an older slot loading iMac from a school and it has administrator privileges. I have the password so I can get into all the programs and such. However I would like to eliminate the administrator & student as users and make myself the user. Is this possible and if so how do I do it. Thanks.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You can create a new administrator account and then remove all of the account you don't want.

OP
L
Reaction score
creating new administrator

Tow do I create a new administrator? Will I run into access problems or problems running the programs that are already on the computer? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Sometimes schools use their own administration programs. But in the event that they didn't you would just go to system preferences->accounts hit the plus sign to make a new account, then click on the security tab and allow the new account administrator priveledges.

Then log out of the acct and log into your new account and go back to system preferences->accounts and highlight the old acct name and click the minus key to delete.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.