Mouse Mighty heavy on batteries

Reaction score
I have had my iMac just over two weeks and the lithium batteries supplied with the Mighty Mouse have gone flat. Is this par for the course? Any suggestions on replacements?:eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
I have had my Mighty mouse for almost a year, I have changed batteries in it once about a month ago, so no this is not par for the MM. Maybe the batteries that were supplied were faulty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" ibook g4, 1.42ghz. 512mb ram, 60gb hdd
It is not uncommon when companies include batteries to use very cheap crappy ones.

OP
fixerman
Reaction score
I have had my Mighty mouse for almost a year, I have changed batteries in it once about a month ago, so no this is not par for the MM. Maybe the batteries that were supplied were faulty.

Thanks for your reply! What sort of batteries do you use in your mouse.:|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" | 2.0Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 | 1GB Ram | 250GB HDD | ATi Radeon HD2400XT 128MB Video
It is not uncommon when companies include batteries to use very cheap crappy ones.

Well in Australia at least Apple use the Energizer Lithium batteries which are quite good.

From what i've heard they should last a long time. Mine have gone 3 months + with no problems yet too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
currently energizers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I use quick rechargables. In 15 minutes my mouse is alive again for what I'm sure is shorter than some people have mentioned here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
NiMH Rechargeables should last over a month between recharges.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06
Energizer lithiums. Use two in the mouse. If always on, they last about 2 months. If I turn them off overnight (machine is on all day every day) they last about 3 months. Keyboard lasts about a year, but I do use the mouse much more than the keyboard.

Mouse batteries are so easy to change and level is so easy to track via OS meter (system preferences/keyboard & mouse/bluetooth) or with iStat that I've taken to using the mouse to get the last vestiges of power out of depleted batteries from flashlights and other devices I have.

(FWIW, previous wireless mouse from HP media center gave me about 3-4 weeks using the same batteries and were impossible to track and difficult to change.)

OP
fixerman
Reaction score
Energizer lithiums. Use two in the mouse. If always on, they last about 2 months. If I turn them off overnight (machine is on all day every day) they last about 3 months. Keyboard lasts about a year, but I do use the mouse much more than the keyboard.

Mouse batteries are so easy to change and level is so easy to track via OS meter (system preferences/keyboard & mouse/bluetooth) or with iStat that I've taken to using the mouse to get the last vestiges of power out of depleted batteries from flashlights and other devices I have.

(FWIW, previous wireless mouse from HP media center gave me about 3-4 weeks using the same batteries and were impossible to track and difficult to change.)

Thanks for the information. I didn't know that you can check the battery level. I checked mine and it is showing full power level yet after using the mouse for a while it becomes very sluggish. If I remove the batteries and replace them straight away all is Ok again.

By the way, what is iStat?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
I don't turn my mighty mouse off at night, should I ? I just got this mouse few weeks ago ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" core duo 2ghz; OS-X 10.4.7; 2gbram; 256mb graphics; 250gbHD; delivered 6/14/06
iStat Pro is what you want. Easy/fast/wonderful way to keep track of what's happening inside. http://www.islayer.com/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's a widget. Once installed you just push down once on the little track-ball and it will come up with your other selected widgets.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook C2D 2.2Ghz and 2 G4 550Mhz Pismos

Perhaps a dumb question, but I got a secondhand wireless mouse and am trying to figure out how to open it to change the batteries. The instructions on the Apple site about how to change the batteries simply says "open the battery cover" but doesn't actually make clear how to do it. Since I don't have a manual it's a little bit of a mystery. I don't want to force it open, naturally, lest I damage it. I'm sure it's quite simple, but it might as well be Rubik's cube as far as I'm concerned at the moment. Thanks in advance...

OP
fixerman
Reaction score
Perhaps a dumb question, but I got a secondhand wireless mouse and am trying to figure out how to open it to change the batteries. The instructions on the Apple site about how to change the batteries simply says "open the battery cover" but doesn't actually make clear how to do it. Since I don't have a manual it's a little bit of a mystery. I don't want to force it open, naturally, lest I damage it. I'm sure it's quite simple, but it might as well be Rubik's cube as far as I'm concerned at the moment. Thanks in advance...

On the bottom of the mouse at the opposite end to the on/off switch is a little catch that if you push it towards the rear of the mouse it releases the bottom of the mouse revealing the battery compartment.

This applies to a Might Mouse Model A1197.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
See the little clip on the rear bottom of the mouse? Pull it down and the rear slides off. To replace fit the top little slot slide in and click the rest into position. Engergizer Lithiums last longest and rechargeables are not worth the cash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
I don't turn my mighty mouse off at night, should I ? I just got this mouse few weeks ago ?

I never do and my batteries last 2 months as mentioned above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook C2D 2.2Ghz and 2 G4 550Mhz Pismos
On the bottom of the mouse at the opposite end to the on/off switch is a little catch that if you push it towards the rear of the mouse it releases the bottom of the mouse revealing the battery compartment.

This applies to a Might Mouse Model A1197.

Thanks. I got it open and am now able to use it. I just got a standard Apple wireless, not the Mighty, but the form factor is pretty much the same. I saw that catch on the bottom and figure that was what it was for, but the cover didn't seem to want to pop off, so I was worried there might be some additional step I needed to take. Thanks a lot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.