WEP password prompt

Reaction score
I just got a MacBook and have never used a Mac. I have WEP configured and I successfully connected to the internet with the airport. However, every time I suspend or shutdown I can no longer connect to the internet. I am prompted to run network diagnostics and where I re-enter the WEP password, and am connected again. How can avoid having to re-enter my WEP password after I have configured it properly once? Selecting the option to save it to the key chain didn't appear to work either.

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
Make sure you are using the same WEP key sequence as every other computer currently registered on the network. With most routers, when setting up WEP security, the router asks for a passphrase. It translates whatever you type in into 4 or 5 ten-digit hex keycodes. These keycodes are what you use on your computer to connect wirelessly. When different computers on the same network use different keycodes, this can cause issues.

A way to go around this all together would be to switch your network security over to WPA or WPA 2. It's a more secure data transmission mode, as long as your password isn't too easy to guess. Come up with something really difficult, write it down, and use that...it should help to solve your issues.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.