VMware Fusion Uninstallation

Reaction score
Hi, I hope this is the right forum for this question (I am a switcher :))

Anyway, I installed VMware Fusion a few weeks ago because I needed Microsoft visio for some database stuff. I don't need it now, and I want to uninstall VMware fusion, but I am not sure how to do it completely so that I can get rid of the windows xp virtual machine as well.

Do I just delete VMware and go to my documents, and empty the virtual machine folder as well?

Thanks

Rem

Reaction score
I uninstalled Vmware Fusion not too long ago, just run the original .DMG program file that you downloaded from VMWare.com. After its been mounted, a folder will appear with a readme file, installation icon and uninstall icon. Run the uninstallation script and you'll be set.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
That wont remove his virtual machines though. Those you will find in documents.

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just stumbled upon this thread while browsing as an unregistered user and I signed up to ask this question. I uninstalled VMware Fusion using AppCleaner. The program removes all hidden files that are left behind when you remove an application file. Will all of the files that the VMware uninstaller deletes also be deleted with AppCleaner? I removed the Virtual Machines directory manually. Help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
@niccapo

I was in the same spot as you, stumbled upon this, and registered to help you out! :) I used AppCleaner which got rid of a lot. In my activity monitor I still had some programs running (indicated by a double sided arrow at the top of my mac status bar, right next to the time machine symbol). I followed the info on those and tried to delete and force quit, but when I restart my computer, it pops back up.

In macHD>library>application support, I had a folder called VMware Fusion. I tried to trash and delete it - it wouldn't let me. I finally just re-downloaded the trial .dmg from the vmware fusion website, mounted it, ran uninstall (AFTER replacing the folder into application support), and it got rid of it for me.

Now that's as far as my experience goes, and I'm not heavily literate in macs, so maybe there's a few stragglers, but I hope this helped!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Note that you replied to an old post from November of last year. Very unlikely the person who needed help has been waiting that long for a reply.

Anyway, welcome to the forums and feel free to participate.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.