Matte or Glossy for me?

Reaction score
I have pretty bad eyesight... I think it may have been genetics, watching too much TV when younger at those big, concave, shiny TVs or too much computer games on CRT screens. I wear pretty thick glasses. Right now, I am on a desktop using a LCD screen (matte). I have always used matte ever since I got my computer 7 years ago. I am going to college next year, and I will be using a MBP 15 inch. However, I'm still debating between matte and glossy screens... Matte might be better because of no glare, but maybe the richer colors of glossy screens would be better on my bad eyes. What are your opinions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 Santa Rosa
Go with the Matte screen. Its lack of glare produces much less strain on your eyes. I prefer it to the glossy screen in just about every situation.

Some say the glossy screen offers richer colors or more sharpness...most of the ones who say that have probably never sat down with them side by side and are only repeating what they hear on this board or on the internet. There really is little difference and IMO, the matte offers truer, more correct colors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I have pretty bad eyesight... I have always used matte ever since I got my computer 7 years ago. I am going to college next year, and I will be using a MBP 15 inch. However, I'm still debating between matte and glossy screens...
This is a no brainer. If it ain't broke.... don't "fix" it.

Oh, and glossy screens distort and muddle colors. They don't make them sharper or crisper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
If you can, go into an Apple store and try them both out side by side. I personally like the glossy better, but it's a preference thing.

Reaction score
Matte every time, I checked out the glossy and although it looks good for DVD's and games its very reflective.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
I vote for glossy, I love the look that glossy screens produce.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Glossy may be ok, if you work on bright documents. If you work with anything 1/2 lit or dark, your eyes will constantly be focusing on your reflection. The eyestrain does get painful. I go through it every day. I hope to buy a glare filter soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook 2.16ghz 2GB Ram 160GB hdd | 8Gb Ipod Nano
Iv never had any problems with my glossy screen macbook.

Reaction score
I can remember standing in the apple store in orlando, going mmmmmmm for bout 2 hours (yes im a applegeek :D we all are) then desided for the matte and i am happy with it, the glossy is better quality but not by that much. The thing is you need to clean it like nothing normal if its glossy finger prints and all are seen more, and if its for college the constant moving about means if the lights are on it it will be hard to see screen due to glare

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
I cleaned my matte screen once in over a year. Glossy is a smudge and dust magnet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I've got the matte screen and I love it.

Reaction score
Im a serious photographer and I have sat down with the different screens side by side. I got the glossy because its advantages make up for its disadvantages. I do mostly macro photography, I love the glossy screen because it makes the smallest of details more visible, so its easier to edit them. If you are a photographer, with a simple screen calibration tool like Spyder 2, you will have an awesome ability in working with macro work or details. I believe that if you are an artist the glossy screen is the way to go. I also think that a lot of people have matte screens because they have older models that came out before glossy, and in this forum they are just trying to justify why they have a matte screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook C2D 1GB RAM
I'd suggest going with what you like or are more comfortable with. When it comes to visuals, the answers are much more opinion than fact. This is evidenced by the mixed reaction we are seeing here. People have different tastes regarding what is visually appealing so you are better off comparing them on your own and making your own decision. :)

Reaction score
I'd suggest going with what you like or are more comfortable with. When it comes to visuals, the answers are much more opinion than fact. This is evidenced by the mixed reaction we are seeing here. People have different tastes regarding what is visually appealing so you are better off comparing them on your own and making your own decision. :)

Well said!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I believe that if you are an artist the glossy screen is the way to go. I also think that a lot of people have matte screens because they have older models that came out before glossy, and in this forum they are just trying to justify why they have a matte screen.
I'm a graphic designer. I have used both glossy screens and matte screens for things. When given the option of a glossy screen or a matte for design work, I choose the matte.

Let me preface the following with this: If you aren't an artist or designer, this really makes no difference and won't really matter to you.

The glossy screen can make the colors seem bolder and a little brighter by making them appear more saturated.
However if you are a designer or an artist, this same 'feature' also distorts colors and they aren't produced properly. The oversaturation muddles things and doesn't give you an accurate depiction of the true color. This has a large impact on what is printed out in the end. If you are into web design or broadcast design it really doesn't matter as much, but for printed works, matte is the definitely the way to go.
This is not my way of "justifying" why I have a matte screen, this is simply the truth. Overly saturated colors on-screen will give you unexpected results for your final printed work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive, OS X 10.5.1
Its a personal preference as stated already, but I do agree with D3v1l8oy. If you are not a designer who has to look into those blacks and colors to find detail, I would go with the glossy. I have a new iMac with a 24" glossy screen and it looks amazing. Best display out there IMO. There is only reflection in the blacks but that would be a fault if I were a designer. But again, look at both next to each other and get what YOU prefer, not what you feel the majority prefers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I would purchase the matte. I could not stand the glossy screen on the Macbook. I could not find a decent angle to use it in my apartment. I have a 4ft x 10ft window and depending on the time of day, no one spot worked out. I was constantly moving my computer desk around. I sold the MacBook and I'm happy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Personally I'd go for the matte one. But I think you should to go an apple atore and have a look at both and make your mind up there. Cause it's hard to tell the difference without doing that kind of comparison. And yeah the picture quality differences between both is rather tiny. To me the only issue was the glare. And that's why I don't like the glossy ones.

OP
O
Reaction score
is the glossy screen brighter? Can you always see reflections on the glossy screen no matter which angle?

OP
O
Reaction score
is the glossy screen brighter? Can you always see reflections on the glossy screen no matter which angle?

I was told that matte's easier on the eyes if you are staring at your computer for long periods of time. Any truth in this?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.