• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Blackberry 8703e or HTC s720?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
So after having nonstop problems with my Moto Q, I told Telus I had enough. So, basically they're letting me choose a smartphone/PDA of my choice for free, and giving me my voicemail/caller ID add-on for free for the entire duration of my 36 month contract.

I've been trying to decide between the 8703e and the s720, but I'm not sure what one to go for.

My Q has Windows Mobile 5 on it and I haven't really had any problems with the OS, just the phone in general sucks. I've heard nothing but good about Blackberry's also.

The s720 has Windows Mobile 6, so I'm assuming performance would be better over WM5.

Decisions, Decisions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
HTC s720...

man, i think I want to complain to get free phones...:p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
HTC s720. Definitely.

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
WEll ever since I got the Q, I've had nothing but problems... Prime example, since about last Thursday, I haven't gotten a single text message, but my friends have gotten mine. Then out of the blue last night I got about 96 or so texts, 7 voicemails, etc all at once, out of the blue.

My phone literally rang for about 15 minutes before it stopped.

So I'm sick of paying out the wazoo for service that I'm not getting. So I told them I wanted to cancel and refused to pay the cancellation penalties, so that was what they gave me.

I get a phone of my choice for free and I get my voicemail/caller ID add-on for free for the remainder of my contract. That saves me $360 for the entire 3-year term. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're so lucky... when my Q went wacky, TELUS didn't offer me jack!

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
The only reason I feel that I got this "good deal" is because I wasn't a jerk on the phone. The lady I spoke to who helped me was super friendly and nice. I've been on the phone to customer care more in the past month, than I have in the past 2 years since I've been with Telus, and I said "hey listen, if I call in again, it's to cancel my account and I'm not paying anything except my bill owing."

So I think I'm going to go with the s720. I've been reading about WM5 vs WM6 and WM6 has a lot more features and is apparently more stable, yadda yadda lol.

EDIT: Does any one have or have used the s720? I know different carries will be different for their phones, but they all generally function the same.

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Just an update here... As of about Thursday of last week, I didn't receive any text messages or voicemail messages for a while.. Then, out of the blue on Monday, I received about 97 texts, 9 voicemails, email, etc all at once..

Every since then, my Q has been working amazingly.. Calls come thru even when I'm on MSN on my phone or surfing the net.

Another thing I noticed is when I select a contact it gives me the option to "dial mobile" .. "dial home" .. "send SMS message" etc..

Well, at first, it always sayd "send SMS message" .. Now it says "send text message: as one of the options. It's very strange.

Even though it is working quite well, I'm still going to go with the s720.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's happened to me. I asked TELUS. They said if you're recieving them from other carrier phones, the gateway sometimes builds up.

They finally gave me 250 dollars off a new phone with a new contract, or 150 without.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Think I can pull this one over on At&t? My blackjack is the worst phone I have ever owned. Dropped calls, don't get texts, phone freezes nearly every time I answer a call and have to pull the battery out to do get it working again, the end and talk buttons switch their "duties" every so often so I hit end and it calls someone I hit call and it turns off the phone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
That's happened to me. I asked TELUS. They said if you're recieving them from other carrier phones, the gateway sometimes builds up.

They finally gave me 250 dollars off a new phone with a new contract, or 150 without.

Man.. I just got my s720 in the mail today... All I can say is WOW!!! It's like going from a Dodge Neon to a Porsche.. It's a way faster phone. WM6 kicks the crap out of WM5.. The phone itself is a million times better...

And the best part is, when I activated today, I got my plan changed from Talk & Email 45, to the "My Faves 30".. They told me at the store I couldn't do a voice plan, it had to be data.. So I get all the features I want (unlimited texting with pics/vids, unlimited MSN messenger/web browsing, etc) without having to worry about going over my data limit.

The great part about that, is that It's only like $10 more per month than what I'm paying now.

My new plan includes:

-150 "any time" minutes
-unlimited local nights and weekends + $7/mo for extended nights and weekends from 9pm to 6pm
- Spark 15 (unlimited MMS texting, voicemail, caller ID, etc), this is + $15/mo
- unlimited web browsing/MSN-IM/Email for + $15/mo
- unlimited local and long distance to anywhere in Canada to 5 people of my choice, on any mobile/landline providerwhich I can change at any time, providing it's in a different billing cycle

So my monthly bill is $62/month plus taxes. It'll be more consistent now too.

I'm so friggin' excited and happy now that my phone is working perfectly. I'd get the s720 if I were you man.

Oh yeah.. And another good thing is.. I still get to keep my MotoQ, which I am actually selling. I've come to the conclusion that my area just sucks for data and it's not the phone, even though it isn't that great of a phone, it was really good when it worked properly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have the Ev logo at the top? I'm actually just gonna buy a non data phone.

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Do you have the Ev logo at the top? I'm actually just gonna buy a non data phone.

Not in town.. But about 10 mins out in the country I do? lol.. I do in the nearest urban center (pop. ~50000), which is about half an hour away from where I live..

And it's blaaaaaaazing fast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Noooooot nearly as fast as TELUS claims. but fast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
At&t is sending me a new blackjack! :)

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Noice! Any one wanna buy a Moto Q? lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
I just got my S730 yesterday... I'm well pleased

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Haha nice.. It was so awesome.. I walked home from work yesterday and found a parcel slip on the main door lol. It was better than any Xmas ever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I want to order my M620 UpStage, but my dad would get ticked.

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I guess that's the benefit of paying for your own things...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.