ibook clamshell problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, 30gb HD, 1.33ghz, 512mb ram 12in screen, osx 10.3.9
hi i just received my ibook clamshell indigo laptop in the mail. i bought it w/o an operating system, so i bought a osx cd (actual ibook one) and i popped that in but nothing really happened, when i turned the computer on i got a question mark in a box and when i put the cd in it turned to the finder face then went blank....what im i doing wrong?..help would be appreciated......also i bought a yo-yo charger for it but it doesnt fit..any idea why?...thanks in advance. -Phil

M

MacHeadCase

Is this the iBook you got?

To install OS X, you might need to install a firmware update.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if you got the wrong restore disk set: as you can see from the link I posted at the beginning, assuming that is the correct iBook you now have, these shipped with OS 9 pre-installed. The restore disks have to be for the exact same model, otherwise the restore disks will never work: these are hardware specific.

OP
evilkid187
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks...i went to go turn back on the clamshell and it wouldnt...guess the battery is dead...and the charger is the wrong one even though its an apple yoyo one its too small....know anywhere i can grab a charger to fit?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
just Google Apple Clamshell charger

http://computerlogin.com/sales/productfile/Y_Apple_Clamshell.html

also bought up a few other parts suppliers for older ibooks

Also you have an older Mac, so check out low end mac - heaps of guidance and resources for you there

http://lowendmac.com/pb2/ibook2.shtml

... that might not be your clamshell -0 but have a root around that site

You may have to search ebay for retail panther or tiger disks to get OS x to work, but check out low end mac for what can be achieved with that classic collector's macbook

OP
evilkid187
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the help i really appreciate it...hopeully i can figure this out

OP
evilkid187
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
by the way that is my clamshell the indigo one with 366mhz 6gb hd and 320 mb ram...i bought the yo-yo charger...don't understand why it doesnt fir...its too small

OP
evilkid187
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the cd i have says ibook osx on it its an actual apple cd....think its just an install disk...what does this os 9 restore cd look like?....and oh yea power charger problem solved..the guy i bought it from sent me the yoyo for the white ibook g3/ powerbook g4...he's sending the new one out today, i got the charger for $25 and its an actual apple one he's sending me so i cant really complain

..by bthe way this is the one i bought : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250185364996&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=015

OP
evilkid187
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
clamshell with no operating system

i posted on here already and i was receving awesome advice then it just stopped so i decided to post again....if your familar with my problem you know i have this computer: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250185364996&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=015

i dont know what to do about an operating system...i bought an apple osx 10.1.4 install cd:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280174687716&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=018

but i think i need the restore disc instead for os9 if im right?

the seller of these said they would work with my problem: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140183626166&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=004

do i need to restore or install os9 b4 i can do anything with osx?..also im aware i would need to do a firmware update for osx but i cant do that w/o an operating system.....and if i should use a retore cd which one?...would os9 still be able to be located on the HD....or is an os9 install cd fine?

sorry for all these links and this being long but i really could use help...thanks in advance

M

MacHeadCase

*Merged your two threads with the same topic*

Use the search instead of starting a new thread.

If you can't find the thread or just can't be bothered looking that much for it, go to your member profile and click on either Find all posts by evilkid187 or Find all threads started by evilkid187. That will take you to what you are looking for. Thanks.

OP
evilkid187
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
*Merged your two threads with the same topic*

Use the search instead of starting a new thread.

If you can't find the thread or just can't be bothered looking that much for it, go to your member profile and click on either Find all posts by evilkid187 or Find all threads started by evilkid187. That will take you to what you are looking for. Thanks.

thank you very much...i should of asked first before i did that

OP
evilkid187
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
evilkid187
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well i've figured everything out...got a nice 10g hd indigo clamshell running 10.1.4 osx very nicely...just need to get an airport card now and we'll be in business....my gf loves the thing...but i kinda dont wanna give it up....:(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.