.jpg's turning black in Word

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OSX 10.4 Tiger
I am new to Mac (finally converted) and I am having a problem when I save a design in Illustrator or Photoshop. When I try to insert the .jpg into Word, it becomes just a big black box. The only way I can get it to work is to save it as a .tiff in AI or Photoshop and then insert it as a .tiff.

Has anyone ran into this problem before and if so, how did you fix it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
that's prob with word. try pasting it as bitmap

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
I have had this problem too. Word is really bad when it comes to putting images in. Try lowering the pixel size in an editing program. I remember for a project i saved it as a JPEG, TIF, and it didn't work for me. I then tried a psd, and it worked. So maybe try that.

Reaction score
I think I've got to the bottom of this. By default when you save an RGB image in JPEG format out of photoshop it embeds a colour profile (sRGB IEC61966-2.1). I'm told this is a profile that makes RGB files view consistently over Mac platforms.

From experience this profile seems to cause problems when the file is imported into some Microsoft/PC applications. The good news is you can turn the profile off and it's really simple. As you use the Format drop-down to save the file as a jpeg, underneath you will see that there is a section entitled Color:... You will probably notice that the 'Embed Colour Profile' button is checked. Uncheck this button and then save your jpeg. This will save the file without the profile. It works... try it. You have to remember to do it every time though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Wow, Word is incapable of displaying anything with an embedded color profile? Remind me to just use inDesign next time I generate something for print.

Seriously, I wouldn't have anticipated that. Controlling color space is really fundamental in any design workflow. (btw, there's irony in this. Microsoft was one of the companies that developed the sRGB standard)

Reaction score
@ mike
Not sure what removing the profile is actually doing within the MS software and why this fixes it precisely, I just know it works. jpegs turning into black boxes... one of the many clunky glitches and bugs in software produced by a company worth billions. Yes the irony indeed.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Neither do other word processors - nothing particularly special about Pages is there?

Reaction score
Problem Solved

I know this is an old subject, but recently I had this problem and I have solved by simply saving the file from DOC extension to DOCX!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.