What is the best way (performance-wise) for remote desktop from windows to my Mac?

Reaction score
I have leopard installed on my MacbookPro. I was wanting to be able to connect to this mac from a work windows machine that would allow me to have remote desktop access to my mac. I have port forwarding setting up fine on port 22 and can ssh in fine (dyndns for hostname services).

I've tried using TightVNC and the performance is horrendous (I'm thinking mainly because it doesn't seem like any of the performance options will 'stick' - ie can't switch to 8bit color). The next thing I tried was logmein.com and that works much better but unfortunately my company has blocked that website for access.

What are others using to remote desktop to their Macs from windows that provides some nice performance?

OP
R
Reaction score
Well, I just looked at those two links. Maybe utlraVNC is better than tightVNC? I'll give that a try. All I know is vnc to my Mac with leopard through TightVNC is extremely laggy to the point of being too much of a pain to even use and I don't see many settings I can tweak.

Has anyone gotten nomachine http://www.nomachine.com/ on windows to work connecting to a Mac? Maybe performance will be better with that (I know performance is great connecting to linux boxes, but nomachine has an option to use some other protocol other than vnc.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.