• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

G5 SlOW?

Reaction score
im new to the mac world, i just bought a dual 1.8 g5 with 4 gb ram and a 10k hard drive with ati radeon xti 256mb ram video card.

I thought that this would be a pretty solid system to run video and general design for my classes, but im having issues of it being really slow compared to my pc laptop (dell inspiron 6000 pentium m 1.6 ghz 1 gb ram)

Im running all of the adobe products but i find that Illustrator and After effects are really slow to load up, it takes up to 3 minutes to load up??? And both of these softwares run slow in general when im doing work on it??

WHAT CAN I DO?? i've tried search with no such luck.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Since that is a Power PC Mac the Adobe stuff should not be that slow. What version of Adobe products are you running on your G5? Photoshop here takes seconds to load on a iMac G5 Single CPU. Going to try Illustrator. Will get back to you.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Running CS here. Took at the most 10-12 seconds to launch Illustrator. With your 10k SATA drive and more ram It should load fast. Something is wrong. You got your Dual G5 used? What version of OSX is on it? Have you reinstalled or is it the way you got the system?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Have you got too many fonts open - that can really slow down opening times

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Nope to what? To reinstalling the system or having too many fonts open? We can't help you unless you give us more information.

OP
A
Reaction score
panther 10.4 install fresh with the most recent software update of 10.4.11.

No to too many fonts open as well.

Loading times to load programs such as illustrator cs2 and after effects 7.0 are about 3 minutes. in after effects when i mess around with a 1.5 gig file that is 5 minutes long i have a big problem ram previewing where nothing even shows up when the ram preview is done????

Im ready to bring this thing into apple store and have them check out the hardware.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.