About to switch

Reaction score
Hi,

After so many years with a PC I am about to take the plunge and buy an iMac. I do though still have some reservations, and although I don't think they will stop me getting a mac, it would be good to know the answers to my queries, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Can I use the built in iSight camera with Skype?
  2. Will I still be able to use Napster?
  3. Will by camcorder and digital camera work? (Both bought in last two years)
  4. Can I still do my banking online?

I just know I have some more concerns but these are all I can think of right now.

Hope you can help,

Matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I can answer the following

2, yes (edit: no - only their web streaming) But you could use Bootcamp to get around this
3, most likely they will just work without having to download drivers - just plug em in and see
4 Depends on the bank, give Safari a try, then Firefox, if both these fail get back to us.

... and turn on the mac firewall if you haven't already (unless your are already behind a routers firewall)

Reaction score
I have a sony handycam thats around a year or so old. I bought my Mac Oct 21 and the camera will not work with the Mac. I ordered a firewire cable from Sony and hopefully Ill be able to use it then. If not my 900.00 camera is a paperweight.

I would take my camera to an Apple store and see if it will hook up with a Mac. I brought mine in and they told me I needed a firewire cable. But it wouldnt hurt to check.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
[*]Can I use the built in iSight camera with Skype?
Yes

[*]Will I still be able to use Napster?
Someone else might help you on this one.

[*]Will by camcorder and digital camera work? (Both bought in last two years)
Usually it should work. Which once are you talking about?

[*]Can I still do my banking online?
Yep. There are several Banking Apps. available for OS X.

Reaction score
Apart from Banking Apps, unless your bank requires you to use some special kind of software, you'll be fine - most banks give you access through the internet, i.e., a web browser like Internet Explorer or Firefox.

On the Mac, Safari or Firefox/Camino are browsers of choice, and should have no problems with your bank's website.

If your bank *does* require you to use special software (e.g. if they gave you a CD to install), you should check with them for a Mac version. A reasonable bank will provide Mac versions.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help.

My camcorder is a sony DCR-SR32 and my digital camera is a fuji F10.

A few other questions: -

5 - Can I play divx and xvid files on the Mac (with bundles software - or at least free software)?
6 - Can I rip my DVD's to the hard drive?

kind regards,
Matt

Reaction score
Youll need a firewire for your Sony then. I just ordered one from sony and its about 40.00.

To rip DVDs to your HD youll need to download Handbrake. Im new to all this as well and I downloaded it yesterday and used it to rip my home movies so i can edit them in iMovie. It worked pretty well. I have a few kinks to work out but Im sure that wont be an issue.

Honestly the best thing Ive done throughout my switch was join this forum. No question is too stupid and people here have been more than helpful to me. I used to think that Mac users were nuts but its a great community and you will love your Mac.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.8ghz MBP6,2(4gb) | 20" iMac | 1.8 & 2.0 Mini(4gb) | iPhone4 | iPad-4Wifi
1) Skype: I need to run the 2.7.0.49 Beta for a more stable Skype experience on Leopard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.