unpacking bins...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" mac book pro, 2.4GHz core 2 duo, 2G ram, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT, 256 RAM, 160G HD @7200rpm
hi, so i'm new to the whole mac thing, and i recently downloaded a trial version of i.d. softwares quake 3 team arena for os x, and its in a bin file, is there any way to open this with a program on my mac? its a brand new (10-29-06) mac book pro, intel based. or if i have to download a software to do it, the only one i've found is stuff-it, but i cant even get a trial version without a credit card. :(
so in short i'm looking for a freeware that can unpack .bin filetypes, other than stuff-it, any input would greatly appreciated. thanks

btw, i havent upgraded to leopard yet. no dinero. :(
dan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
You're looking for Stuffit Expander which is freeware.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-forums, volta88.

First of all you can use Stuffit Expander for free, they have a freebie version that will decompress .bin files. Here's the link.

I was looking at the Quake III: Team Arena demo and this is old, man. It's not in Universal Binary so if it runs on your Intel-based Mac, it'll have to be under Rosetta which will make it slow, me thinks. So you might not get to play this anyway.

Good luck. :)

Edited to add:

That Quake III version I linked you to above won't work (version 8.6 or better). This one might and it's Universal Binary, the website says.

OP
volta88
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" mac book pro, 2.4GHz core 2 duo, 2G ram, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT, 256 RAM, 160G HD @7200rpm
yeah, its pretty old school, one of my favorites from "back in the day" so stuffit works great, thanks, but you were right, its not a universal binary so thats a bummer, the link you provided macheadcase is a update for team arena, and its for mac windows and linux, i can't seem to find the whole download anywhere but i.d.'s page, which, like you said isn't a universal binary, so i guess i'll have to do without for a while, thanks for the link to stuffit xpander though, its a slick program.

-dan-

OP
volta88
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
also, this is just a minor little concern but i didn't want to post an entire new thread for it. my macbook likes to bog down really fast when airport is having trouble connecting to a local wireless internet connection, so bad that i'll just turn airport off, does the fact that i have barely any space on my hard drive (5 gigs free) have anything to do with this or is it something else? thanks

-dan-

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.