Mac the Ripper /Handbrake

Reaction score
About to start some vid projects and was wondering which of these would be the best.

Im taking home movies that are on DVD Mpeg format and I want to rop them on to my hard drive so that I can edit them in iMovie and add music and photos.

Which would be the best and is the easiest to use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
If they're already in MPEG format, you shouldn't need to rip them at all...just copy them from the DVD to your computer. If the DVD is in Video_TS folder format, use Handbrake...it's free and fast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Handbrake will convert them to a number of formats, including MP4 and AVI. MTR will just copy the Video_TS folder to your hard drive.

Your best bet, if they are in DVD format is to use an App called MPEG Streamclip. It will take the files off the DVD to an MPEG-2 format that I believe that iMovie will handle better. There is also lees compression and less quality loss.

OP
silverloop13
Reaction score
Thanks. Right now handbrake is ripping the DVD. From there I hope to be able to put it into iMovie so I can edit it and mix in some photos and music.

Earlier I copied the DVD on to my desktop and it was in vid -TS file. I have no idea what that is and when I tried to open it easy WMV kept starting up.

Im new to all this so its a bit confusing at the moment. Hopefully I can get it figured out and make Grandmas day come xmas lol.

Thanks for the tips I am using them all and they are much appreciated.

OP
silverloop13
Reaction score
Heres a question. When using handbrake should I choose the Mpeg format or AVI ? Is one better than the other for iMovie editing?

OP
silverloop13
Reaction score
OK I just fisnished and handbrake put it on a .mp4 file on my desktop. But when I click to open it it says it cant be opened bc its not a movie file. Eh ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
What exact settings did you use for Handbrake? What version of Handbrake did you use?

OP
silverloop13
Reaction score
version 9.1 I used 700 for the bit rate.

Format Mp4 file

Codec was MPEG-4 video AAC audio

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.