Mac "it just works" hmmmmmm really?

Reaction score
Ok after a few months playing around with my stylish new iMac I have the following concerns;

Where/How does iPhoto store my digital pic files? can I go and grab all the jpgs/NEFs WIN Explore style and copy them elsewhere (eg: external harddrive).

iMovie is a crook of crap , only good for transfering ve\ideo files to iPOD, the older HD movie (i06?) is much more powerful with timelines and the like and more choices in saving to different file formats BUT still can't get a simple AVI or MPG conversion with iMOVE or the older i06 HD Movie, how do I do that?? :(

Toast isn't very friendly, cant burn a simple file for viewing on HOME DVD player, just plays on Macs, hmmmm.

I'm not statisfied in "uninstaling" programs, really just drop all files into Trash? hmmmm

Once I install a DMG into Applications folder, how do I permnamently place it on the Dock?

I dunno I guess I need more time with the iMac, but I just want to do simple things, like dump my SONY camcorder footage into iMovie (or the i06 version) - make a MPG, AVI or simple DVD disc. Backup my transfered photos i dumped into iPhoto8.

Thanks in advance to any answers to my "gripes" ! :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
www.dell.com? :D

You grab the photos out of iPhoto and copy them where you want.

iMovie works fine. Some do prefer the older one. The old one can still be used if prefered.

Toast does that very thing and very well. I just did it last night without even a thought and maybe 3 clicks of the mouse. Played the DVD on every player in the house and showed it to a friend next door on their DVD player.

That is the way OSX and even OS9 uses to uninstall files. Works great.

You do NOT copy a DMG to the Applications folder. You open it and drag the application contained inside the DMG to the Applications folder then unmount the Image (Drag it to the trash). Very easy. You can then throw out the DMG if you want. You drag the Applications you want into your Dock from the Applications folder. Click and Drag.

Reaction score
Iphoto - Go to your home folder open 'Pictures' and then drag your photo library to external disk etc. to create back up. You can also drag individual pictures out of iPhoto which will just be in JPEG format anyway.

Toast - Check the left hand side of the Toast window, you must have Mac only selected. Just change this to another option.

IMovie - Is this link any help? http://www.danslagle.com/mac/iMovie/qt_plugins/3004.shtml

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
On the Toast thing with a DVD, drag the file into Toast. I take it this is a Video file? I did an AVI last night and it as great. You select the Video Tab, then drag in the movie. Make sure DVD is selected on the side window in Toast. It will convert the file to a DVD format then burn. Works for me every single time. Converting might take a while so hang in there. :D

Picture 3.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
If you don't like Toast, then try SimplyBurns. Very easy to use... no complaints here. And... it's FREE!

As for "uninstalling" programs... I don't understand your complaint. Most apps you do just drop in the trash. There are a few that benefit from a bona-fide uninstall process, but that's just because they add other files to the Library (user or root) for one reason or another and it's simpler to let the uninstaller make sure everything is removed. But you CAN remove them manually if you like... just use a Spotlight search and root them out by name. IF you know what yer doing.

If you want to backup your iPhoto library, then just copy ~\Pictures\iPhoto Library to wherever you please. Or just export the library. It's right there in the iPhoto menu.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
life is funny sometimes.. when something does not work the way they want it to its always someone elses fault.. god for bid they think to them self "this is not working how I want it to maybe I'M DOING SOMETHING WRONG".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Although most of your poorly written post is just silly, I will respond to a few things.:

Toast isn't very friendly, cant burn a simple file for viewing on HOME DVD player, just plays on Macs, hmmmm.

Really? Mine does just fine, they play all of my DVD players in my home. Maybe the problem is not Toast. PEBKAC?

I'm not statisfied in "uninstaling" programs, really just drop all files into Trash? hmmmm

Ok, fine. That doesn't mean that it's not the way to do it, it just means you not able to grasp the simple concept of just emptying the trash.

Once I install a DMG into Applications folder, how do I permnamently place it on the Dock?

You don't. You open the DMG file, drag the App to the Apps folder, close the DMG file, eject it, drag the DMG image to the trash and empty. You then open your Apps folder and drag the App you want into the dock to the dock (left side) and it will stay there. Again, it's easy but your not grasping the simple concept.

I dunno I guess I need more time with the iMac, but I just want to do simple things, like dump my SONY camcorder footage into iMovie (or the i06 version) - make a MPG, AVI or simple DVD disc. Backup my transfered photos i dumped into iPhoto8.

Perhaps maybe you need to think about what you are doing before you do it.

If you like iMovie 06, get a copy, it will still work just fine. I already addressed the disc issue, you are doing something wrong. I always manually drag my photos off my DSLR and store them separately AND have iPhoto import them. That way I have the originals as a backup and the iPhoto copy (did you look in the Pictures folder in your library?)

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank You all for the replies, I will explore all your help hints and yeah my post was written with haste, I wasn't blaming "everyone else.." I was just upset at the time. I love the Mac and yeah guess I need more time with it but I guess a post like mine really helps newbiews like me,

Thanks again all.

Reaction score

About this one.

I used to work for Microsoft so I can see what you mean here. You're thinking there is no way you're completely uninstalling an application by just dragging it to the trash.

However, go into your applications folder, right click on an application and select "Show Package Contents" A new finder window will open showing you the application files. Those Application icons aren't just icons, they really are the entire application.

Also, remember there isn't a registry or DCOM registration for OSX. So there is no need for an uninstaller to clean those entries up.

The exception is when you have to install system files. When you get a Mac application that uses a .PKG type installer, you are actually having files copied to sections of your hard drive like \library or \system\library and other files. This is why you get prompted for your root password. Those files are not simply accessible or the installer. These kinds of applications usually have an uninstaller of some kind. If they don't and you drag the application to the trash, you are still leaving system files behind. This isn't always a bad thing but I advise against it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.