Woo - Excited!

Reaction score
Afternoon All,

Long time lurker - first time poster!

I'm looking at buying my first mac - had a play (well a good 5 hours) with my Aunties C2D imac and I love it... MacOS looks and feels fantastic and even though I haven't seen much of Leopard - all the posts etc that I've managed to read talk highly of it (correct me if I'm wrong!) :)

I'm thinking of taking the plunge and becoming (gradually) a fully fledged mac user... I think the lifestyle which seems rather relaxed will suit me!! I use windows based software all day in work so i think I deserve a treat!

My question(s) have probably been answered a million times before - but I'd like a fresh take on it!

What incarnation of mac would you suggest for a complete newbie - who would be looking to use it alongside a pc for starters - but hopefully eventually make the switch (at home at least!) as fully as possible!

I like the idea of the macbook to start with... its neat and looks absolutely stunning. I also have the bonus of having used apple cinema displays for the past few years so I already have one! On the other hand, however, I'm led to believe that the imac is the 'quintessential' mac product...so I'm in a quandry!

Although the mac mini is a great idea - I don't think that would be a wise purchase for me given my current situation.

As a Civil Engineer / Transport Planner, based in the UK - all the industry software I use is windows based - so I'm always going to have to use windows, but up until recently, I've done quite a bit of work at home which has warranted a machine, but I've just been given a brand new dell precision laptop which I can bring home, so I'm hoping to phase out my 'home pc'!

So - i suppose if you could offer any thoughts or opinions I'd be most grateful!

Anyway - thanks for listening (hope it made a little bit of sense!)

sparks*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive, OS X 10.5.1
Well, you could just keep your work laptop for your Windows stuff and get a Macbook. If you already have a Cinema display, sounds like that would be the right choice.

As far as the iMac being the "quintessential" Mac; a Mac is a Mac. The Macbook is no less or more a Mac than an Mac mini, a Mac Pro, or a iMac. Get the Mac that is right for you.

Sounds like you will eventually end up with more than one anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 2.4GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive, OS X 10.5.1
Also, you can use Boot Camp to install Windows as a dual boot on the Mac.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks brian..

Maybe the wrong choice of words from me!

I think the macbook looks like the right choice for me! Think i'll pop out to the mac store tomorrow and have a look!

Cheers,

EDIT// I dont think I'd be using bootcamp or parallels - i'd like to keep the mac as maccy as possible!

sparks*

T

todd51

I agree with Brian, just use your Windows laptop for all your work and maybe do some backups to an external drive so that you don't loose those essential files you need. This way your Macbook won't need to have bootcamp installed and it will be as "maccy as possible"!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.