New to Mac 9.2 also

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a couple of questions:

I'm having problems getting my new G3/333 iMac to connect to the internet.

I'm connecting via a router (DGL-4300) and after rebooting the iMac got a good IP (192.168.0.160). It is able to connect to other computers on the home LAN and display webpages within the LAN. However, outside of the LAN I'm not able to connect, either by name or IP. (I reconnected the cable to the orginal Win computer and it's connecting to the net normally under a different IP - Mac is still refusing, however.)

Right now I'm downloading stuff to a local comp and then sending it to the iMac, but that's kind of a hassle. Its setup as DHCP.

My second question is I've had some fun so far with the iMac and am thinking about getting a Mac also. (The G3 is going to my folks.) Is it true native 9.2 is limited to pre-G5 macs? Will 9.2 have problems with too much memory? (Like 1gb - Ideally I'd like to set it up dual boot with OS X.)

Thanks!

Reaction score
Sorry, but I can't answer your router questions.
Is it true native 9.2 is limited to pre-G5 macs?
This was why I bought my G4 when I did.
This is the last series of PowerMacs which can be dual-booted into MacOS9 and MacOSX; newer models are OSX only.
I have the G4 partitioned; OS X on one partition, and two OS 9 partitions, one to run Disk Doctor, Disk Warrior and Speed Disk on the other OS 9 partition. There should be no problem running a gig of RAM.

OP
phosphorrose
Reaction score
"The excellent fold-down side design was retained, and even the notoriously sluggish MacOSX felt snappy on these systems."

As an aside, what is a good CPU speed for OSX? (I was thinking of Tiger specifically since I've seen some sales on it and it has some extras I liked.) Also, do dual-processors make a difference nativel, or only in threaded applications?

Last night I was running a program on OS 9 and it locked the system up. Is there an equivalent to ctrl-alt-del to try to see what's going on?

Reaction score
. . . what is a good CPU speed for OSX?
I ran Panther on a 350-megahertz blue-and-white machine. Anything slower, I think, would be like watching paint dry.
Also, do dual-processors make a difference nativel, or only in threaded applications?
Here's an article on dual processing and apps.
. . . Apple took the essential step of assuming full responsibility for managing the use of multiple processors by ensuring the core of the operating system itself would handle the task itself, as a matter of course. With the heart of the OS in charge like never before and eager to put different tasks onto idle CPUs whenever possible, users could see the benefit of the new generation of twin processor Macs no matter what software they ran.

This doesn’t mean that every application will automatically split its tasks across every CPU in a well-endowed Mac. That’s something which requires explicit multi-threading within the software, putting different parts of an overall task into separate threads and sharing those out across the available processors. . . .
Last night I was running a program on OS 9 and it locked the system up. Is there an equivalent to ctrl-alt-del to try to see what's going on?
Try Shift-Option-Command-Escape. If it's only the app that's frozen, that might allow you to force-quit it through a dialogue box. If clicking OK in the box quits the app, you'll lose any unsaved changes, but if the app froze, you would anyway.

Even if that key combo allows you to quit the app, restart the machine. It's likely running in an unstable condition and will freeze completely the almost-guaranteed next time. And a normal restart is easier on the computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.