After PC, iMac or Mini for my daughter?

Reaction score
Hello all and happy Thanksgiving!
I decided to give up all those weird messages I got for years on my PC (Xrl45 not found, Check your MF309, etc’)+ another long line of problems and switch to Mac.
I am buying a laptop for me and something else for my daughter (all refurbished).
After spending some hours reading MANY posts I got answers to almost all the questions I originally had but one:
At the beginning I thought about an iMac. Since it is much above her needs and for the difference in $ I am considering a Mini+ a around $150- $200 monitor and using the wireless keyboard+ mouse my other daughter was using before switching to a Mac.
My concern is a “PC-minded” one… :) : after facing compatibility problems I am hesitating weather spend the extra $ and buy for her the iMac (everything original, no “sewing”) or the Mini configuration will work as well?
Any input will be highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance. Saul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
I would just go with the iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Well going with the Mini would be the cheap way to go it, but I'd still go with the iMac for a total "fresh" start. For ~$150 for a monitor, you likely aren't going to get an particularly good one, and while the existing wireless keyboard/mouse should work (assuming they are bluetooth or USB), getting a keyboard with the typical Mac keys like CMD (the "Apple" key) may prove less confusing. Also, the all-in-one design of the iMac will look mighty nice and have less cable clutter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 2.4G 320G HD OS Snow Leopard. Win7 on Dell PC Inspiron i5 8g Ram 1TB HD
Get theiMac, you won't be sorry, I love mine. Van

Reaction score
iMac all the way. One of the nice things I love about is the lack of cables cluttering at the back of the computer, and iMac does the job!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The iMac is definitely the "nicest" option, and offers more performance in a sleeker package than the mini, plus the price difference isn't really that great once you've purchased a monitor as well...

But they should both work equally well, regardless of which one you get.

The only thing I'd consider is whether a laptop might be better? Young people (and I include myself in that generalisation) tend to move around more and she might find a laptop more useful when she goes to college / school / friend's house.

You can always hook a laptop up to a monitor and keyboard should you need a larger screen.

OP
F
Reaction score
Hello all. I wanted to thank you for the time you took. I will check tomorrow, black Friday (Apple advertises -quote- "Big Surprises" online as well as in stores) what will be the difference in prices.
The laptop is not an option for now. Since she has learning disabilities, what you , Aptmunich mentioned as advantages, in her case those are things we are trying to avoid. :)
I hope to hear some more, because I am still on the fence, with a slight tendency towards the iMac.
Thank you again, I appreciate your help. Saul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
With her learning disabilities, then most certainly be sure you have a proper Mac keyboard if you go with the Mini so she won't risk being confused with the "Windows keyboard" equivalents of various keys... the Option and Command keys in particular.

Reaction score
How old is your daughter, how often will she use the computer, and what are her needs on said computer?

jason

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
The iMac will provide a better overall experience than the Mini. I would recommend it. The current iMacs have a breathtakingly beautiful display, and are quite a bit faster than the Mini.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks to all of you people, who gave me advice. I really appreciate it! :) :) :)
That's it! Yesterday (Friday) I ordered my computers at Apple.com.
For my daughter I bought a refurbished iMac 20-inch 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 1GB memory and 320GB hard drive for $1299 and for myself a refurbished MacBook Pro 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; 15.4-inch widescreen display; 2GB memory and 120GB hard drive for $1699. I think I bought a great value for my $$$ and I don’t want to hear again from Microsoft. Again, thank you all and have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Saul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Congrats and have fun with your new apple branded products when you receive them.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks the8thark.
Now that you mentioned "when you receive them"?
I was amazed. (Sorry if the English sounds "a bit" "nerdish", I am only 8 years in the States :)). I placed the order Friday afternoon and the 2 AIO printers I ordered ($100 rebate on each) were already at my front porch Sat noon!
Enjoy the rest of your weekend. Saul

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.