Warranty

Reaction score
Without Applecare, how much of a warranty do you get on Apple computers? Or if it makes a difference, a 20'' Aluminum iMac?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It's 1 year from date of purchase. 3 years total with the Apple Care extended warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
And around 90 days of phone support, 3 years with AppleCare

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
Without AppleCare you get 90 days of phone support and 1 year of hardware support. After 90 days you have to go to either an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Repair Center.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
I have a question re this topic too:)

How important is it to get the Warranty?

If the MacOS is more reliable than a PC operating system, then would you really need a warranty?

I didn't get a extra 3-4yr warranty on my pc knowing that in 4-5 yrs time I will need a new computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
You don't really buy the warranty for the operating system, you buy it for the hardware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Like Eric said, the warranty is mainly for the hardware support. Sure, you get phone support for the OS, but I honestly don't think it's worth paying for AppleCare just to get phone support when you get much better advice for free at places like Mac-Forums.

If you have a desktop Mac, I find AppleCare to be a waste of money as Macs are pretty well built machines and the one year warranty should cover any manufacturing defects. A notebook is a totally different matter. Since they get moved around and see a lot more abuse, AppleCare is a great idea as there is a possibility of hardware breaking down for causes beyond manufacturing defects. Three years is a pretty good coverage time for a computer. If you buy it with an American Express card, you automatically get the warranty extended to four years.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.