Net Gear Router

Reaction score
I have a netgear router. It worked great until I got Leopard. Now when I put the instal disc in the disc icon comes up...I click on it then the menu comes up and I see the Autorun.exe but when I click on it it just comes up in text edit form. So basically I cant install.

Im a novice on this of course so i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

Thanks a ton.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20"!! WOOH YEAH!! 2gb ram - 250gb hd 2.16ghz core 2 duo
are you referring to a netgear wireless router?

ryan

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
.EXE files do not run under OSX. They never have. Tiger will not run an EXE file either. That is a Windows Executable.

As the other poster said, what Netgear router is this? Model Number please.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20"!! WOOH YEAH!! 2gb ram - 250gb hd 2.16ghz core 2 duo
ok, if your netgear router is a wireless one like mine (should be the same case for other rouers actually) then you can just connect to the wireless network when you log into your mac the first time, if you have the WEP key handy!

No need to install the router's software!

(I hope you were meaning about the wireless router, although im assuming you could still connect to a wired network without router software)

ryan

OP
silverloop13
Reaction score
Its fine I didnt have to do anything. I just unplugged my router for 30 seconds and restarted my Mac. I guess I get the DUH ! cap for the day. Anyhow its working great.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Netgear Problem

Hi everyone,

While on this Netgear router subject, I notice that my dell laptop picks up the signal from my netgear wireless router (WGT64 801.g model) (might be missing a number or two in there... but it is the 108 mbps model. Anyway, when I attempt to connect to the router using my macbook pro - which I just purchased not less than five hours ago - I cannot get 1 web page to load under 1 minute. Sometimes, the page doesn't load at all, however, airport says I'm connected to my router.

Interestingly enough, my g/f's macbook does the same thing when she is over, although I can connect with the dell. I've tried deactivating the dell's wi-fi to see if there is a mixed signal or something, but no dice... the macbook (both of ours) cannot load internet pages.

As for the router's admin page, I've already added my g/f's macbook to the permissions setting section (mac address), but this doesn't help either.

Does anyone have any suggestions?:Grimmace:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is it the WGT624 108Mbps router? I have one here I use as an access point. Works great with all the Macs and PC's with WiFi.

Are you using WEP or WPA security?

Also how is the signal strength from the Netgear on the Macs? Also if you hard wire the Macs to the Netgear with CAT-5 does the internet work normally?

Reaction score
It is that very router. I am using WPA security. The signal for the both macs (g/f and mine) are all bars but the very top bar. I have not tried the direct wire to the router, but will try when i get off of work in about two minutes. Any other suggestions if the hardwiring option works fine? Thank you.

Reaction score
Problem resolved - so far

As of now, my MBP is accessing the internet through the wireless router - so much for thinking that I might have to go out and buy a whole new router. However, the router does not have security in place, and I changed the setting to accept both b and g - whatever that means, but it was an option, and I thought that if the MBP is not on the g frequency, then the other option would work.

I'm wondering what I should do now. I assume that if I put security back in place, the computer will not be able to access the internet. BTW, when I connected the computer to the router - through ethernet cable - I was able to access the internet. Standing by for more advice.

Thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.