• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

coolest thing ever?

M

MacHeadCase

Nope.

When you're out in the wild for a relaxing time to unwind from city traffic, pollution and noise, hearing those wasp-like sounds could turn even the most placid person into a seething, foaming, raving lunatic dreaming of a bloodfest and murder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
Did you notice that in all the pictures in jetski mode the guy riding is not wearing a life jacket? I saw this a while back in CPU magazine and on the discovery channel I think. It's pretty cool, I just don't know if it is practical.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
This thread makes me think of Inspector Gadget for some reason.

OP
Brandon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D, 2Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB HD, ipod nano 8GB, 500GB MyBook
Did you notice that in all the pictures in jetski mode the guy riding is not wearing a life jacket?

That's because he just rode it from the land straight down into the water...probably being chased by bad guys. No time to change.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
aluminium PowerBook G4 first gen
put a micro mac in it maybe ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
Yes, that is the coolest thing ever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I like it. It's another way for the morons of the world to remove themselves from the gene pool.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
Did you notice that in all the pictures in jetski mode the guy riding is not wearing a life jacket?...

That's because he just rode it from the land straight down into the water...probably being chased by bad guys. No time to change.

And it was just his sheer velocity that tore his shirt from his body as he entered the water. Awesome. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I like it. It's another way for the morons of the world to remove themselves from the gene pool.

But they'd be earning themselves a Darwin Award in the process. So it's not a total loss. And we can laugh at their stupidity.

OP
Brandon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But they'd be earning themselves a Darwin Award in the process. So it's not a total loss. And we can laugh at their stupidity.

For the record, I don't own an ATV or Jetski and I'm not really big on either of those for recreation, but, why are are those people who are into it stupid again? And do you think they are any more dangerous than, say, driving a car?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Brandon said:
but, why are are those people who are into it stupid again? And do you think they are any more dangerous than, say, driving a car?

Mainly because they are driven off road in questionably safe conditions by individual who, as a group, tend to think they are cool and indestructible. The instances of people drinking and driving an ATV, Snowmobile or one of these is significantly higher than it is for drinking and driving cars, mainly because enforcement is more difficult.

These are use for recreation and while Autos can as well, they are not in the same class and have significantly more government mandated safety features built into them.

OP
Brandon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mainly because they are driven off road in questionably safe conditions

I agree with you there.

by individual who, as a group, tend to think they are cool and indestructible.

That's a blanket generalization. (Also,"individual, as a group," contradict each other.) You can't say everyone who rides an ATV or Jetski thinks they are indestructible. I'm sure there are some very reasonable and responsible riders out there.

The instances of people drinking and driving an ATV, Snowmobile or one of these is significantly higher than it is for drinking and driving cars, mainly because enforcement is more difficult.

I find that extremely hard to believe. I would very interested to see your source on that statistic. I would actually think the exact opposite is true, and many more people die in alcohol related auto accidents than in alcohol related ATV accidents, proportionally.

These are use for recreation and while Autos can as well, they are not in the same class and have significantly more government mandated safety features built into them.

Actually, the initial use for these quadskis is meant for search and rescue and emergency service operations, not recreational use. As they progress beyond the concept/prototype stage, then yes, they will be more widespread for recreational use, and there will be those yahoos who use them recklessly.

Your point that they are not in the same class as autos and have less government mandated safety features is a good point, and a valid one.

Again, I don't ride ATVs or Jetskis, and I think that their negative impact on the environment and natural habitats is one thing, but calling people who do ride them "stupid" and "morons" is a little uncalled for. Isn't there some kind of forum rule against name-calling? There may not be many riders on this forum, but if there are, I'm sure you offended them.

Besides, you gotta admit, isn't there some part of you that thinks those things are just a little bit cool? :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
The instances of people drinking and driving an ATV, Snowmobile or one of these is significantly higher than it is for drinking and driving cars, mainly because enforcement is more difficult.

I find that extremely hard to believe. I would very interested to see your source on that statistic. I would actually think the exact opposite is true, and many more people die in alcohol related auto accidents than in alcohol related ATV accidents, proportionally.

Every year in the immediate area, there are several alcohol related snowmobile deaths and accidents. Sure the state police have people on patrol on sleds, but there are alot of people that are drinking on sleds and you dont even know about it. On a sled, you can go where ever there is snow. In a car you are limited to roads. Per capita, I'd bet there are more sled related deaths than auto.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Brandon said:

I have a cousin who is a cop in Northern Nevada. That is my source. Statistically, more people drink and drive when using recreational vehicles of the type in question. Wile the number of deaths as a whole may be less, proportionally by type, it is significantly higher.

Brandon said:
That's a blanket generalization. (Also,"individual, as a group," contradict each other.) You can't say everyone who rides an ATV or Jetski thinks they are indestructible. I'm sure there are some very reasonable and responsible riders out there.

It was intended to be a generalization. In general most users are young and consider themselves "indestructible". I use the term group to describe them based on age.

I would have broken the rules if I had called you, specifically, "stupid" or a "moron". Again, it was a generalization of a group not any particular individual or forum member.

Reaction score
Nope.

When you're out in the wild for a relaxing time to unwind from city traffic, pollution and noise, hearing those wasp-like sounds could turn even the most placid person into a seething, foaming, raving lunatic dreaming of a bloodfest and murder.
Yes, I agree.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.