Macbook and Pro quality rumours

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD
Hi I am getting a macbook pro at christmas and I have read quite a few stories on the internet (i know the internet is not always right) about the build quality on Macbooks and Macbook pro's and various other things like the prcessor whine and hissing noises and such coming from the computer.

if possible i owuld like some honest unbiased opinions from you guys the everyday users of these machines baout these issues
if there are any at all.

Thanks in advance

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi I am getting a macbook pro at christmas and I have read quite a few stories on the internet (i know the internet is not always right) about the build quality on Macbooks and Macbook pro's and various other things like the prcessor whine and hissing noises and such coming from the computer.

if possible i owuld like some honest unbiased opinions from you guys the everyday users of these machines baout these issues
if there are any at all.

Thanks in advance

...with apologies to those who have read this same post previously...

Forums are places where a lot of people come to get help with and complain about problems. It's a shame, but many people only ever come here for help, but once their problems are solved, never stick around to talk about how much they like their machines. Same goes for product review sites - people that are having problems are far more likely to complain about them than those that do not.

Whether it's a forum about cars, computers or whatever widget you can think of, forums and customer reviews are never a good gauge of reliability. A small fraction of the machines that Apple sells are represented in forums and product review sites, and those that are represented are usually done so because they have issues. Apple happens to have one of the highest reliability ratings in the industry.

Simply stated people are far more vocal when they have a problem. If you want a MacBook/Pro, just buy one - statistically speaking, you'll be fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
I have had my MBP since June and it has had 0 problems, I really love it and recommend it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8ghz iMac 24" 4gbRAM 750gbHD + 650gbExternalHD + 22" LCD
My girlfriends macbook has a hiss that comes only when plugged into the mains. She doesn't notice it but I do and it drives me nuts.
However, this isn't a common problem and hasn't at all stopped my love for her macbook and my constant attempts to steal it from her.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Macbook Pro, 2GB RAM, OSX v10.5
I just got my MBP about a month and a half ago, and my only complaint about it is how warm it gets (not damaging to the components, but uncomfortable for the legs). Definitely invest in a cooler or some kind of lap pad if you buy this -- but don't get an iLap if you value your $50.

Good luck,

J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
I've had my MacBook Pro going on a year now, and I've got no complaints. I don't take it off my desk much at all, so the battery has suffered...but since I took the battery in to be tested within the first year, the guys at the Genius Bar replaced it, no questions asked...all I had to do was show them the iStat Pro widget showing battery health of less than 80%.

That being said, good luck, enjoy your purchase, and come here for any questions you have. This is a very helpful, informative, and enthusiastic board.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
My new Santa Rosa Macbook is flawless. ;)

::knocks on wood::

T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
Year/half with my MPB 15" - quiet, fast, no problems... runs great... still *in-love*

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 320 GB 7200RPM HD
thanks everyone for your honest and mindresting replies and also i agree with cwa107 view about people being vocal.

i probably have got a Apple notebook regardless because everylaptop has issues its jsut because apple makes relatively few models that each one is scrutanized more that normal.

thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
thanks everyone for your honest and mindresting replies and also i agree with cwa107 view about people being vocal.

i probably have got a Apple notebook regardless because everylaptop has issues its jsut because apple makes relatively few models that each one is scrutanized more that normal.

thanks

Absolutely.

Apple's quality is legendary, so consumer expectations are much higher. When there are anomalies they are much more apparent.

Reaction score
Only had my MBP 17 hi-rez. for two weeks, but out of the box build quality on mine is excellent.

I agree with the previous poster regarding Apple quality expectations being so high, that virtually any issue is a surprise and gets attention.

This is my first Apple anything after many years of PC laptops. I'll never go back. There are reasons why Mac's cost more. I love the way they are put together.

And if you have an Apple store in your area, rest assured service will not be an issue. My friends with Mac's raved about their service. I have been to the Genius Bar twice since I got mine, since I have a learning curve being new to Mac. No charge either trip and they worked with me until I understood.

Try that with a Dell or a Toshiba. No, I'll buy a Mac everytime and if there is a whine or hiss or anything else wrong with it, I'll just get it fixed...

Reaction score
As a very recent switcher (3 weeks ago) I can say that everything about my MBP is top notch. Build quality is superb and everything works as it should. Once you go Mac ,,, you never go back!

Reaction score
I have one of the first macbooks to be made, so I've been through all the problems as they come [random crashing, etc] but even with all that, I love it more than any other computer I've had [or been near, except the mac pro... ooooh ahhhh] ...I honestly don't take very good care of it- I dropped it down the stairs once, and it's always falling all over the place and never sitting on a desk.

It gets really hot. I know there are ways to change it, but I've grown to love it. It keeps me warm. It's comforting.

My computer sometimes makes a funny noise when there is a CD in the drive being played and I push underneath it, but other than that it's been great.

The few little problems that people have with macs are really brought into attention, because macs are supposed to be perfect and flawless. But honestly, they're so much more well made than most PCs... and they have much fewer problems overall.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.