Woke up this morning and my mac was frozen.

Reaction score
I'm running leopard.
Macbook pro

- computer set to never sleep
- Display set to sleep after 1 minute
- Put the hard disk to sleep when possible - enabled

I went to sleep while listening to itunes, via Frontrow.

This morning when i woke up there was no music playing. Didn't put much mind to it because i was listening to streaming radio to begin with.

I did notice the small sleep light on towards the front of the laptop. I moved my mouse to bring the screen and laptop back up...and nothing.

I seen my screen lit, but the display was black. I waited for about 5 minutes, moving the mouse around and pressing esc on the keyboard but nothing.

I eventually had to hold down the power button to do a hard reboot.

Any idea why this might happen, and how to prevent it?

Don't think it was heat, because i have my laptop raised an inch off the desk and my theres plenty of room for airflow all around it. Not to mention my room is air conditioned.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
I don't know if there is any relation but sometimes my MBP, for some reason, when awakening the screen back light doesn't come no and I have to turn it on by pressing the brighten button(f2).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
I've never used a macbook pro, but when my ibook goes to sleep with the lid open you have to press the standby button to bring it back to life, moving the mouse around doesn't do anything.

Could be different with the new macbooks though ;p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
that is correct, I use the space bar to wake it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
My lady friends macbook will sometimes freeze if she was watching a dvd and paused it and then closes the lid. When she opens it back up it'll be un responsive and lag real bad, some times it will just freeze.

OP
D
Reaction score
Happened again today. I'm wondering if it's because of frontrow, which is how i listen to itunes while i go to sleep.

I see the laptop in sleep mode because of the small light at the front... I move my finger around the touchpad and the sleep light goes away, and i see my screen get power... but aside from that nothing.

Just a black, lit screen, and no matter what keys i press nothing happens. I have to do a hard reboot, and upon reboot i get no crash or failure messages so theres no way to report it to apple.

I never close my screen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.