File exists but can't locate where.

Reaction score
I typed a command in "terminal", and it gave this output:

Sample analysis of process 4278 written to file /tmp/tuttl_4278.sample.txt

I can't find that file "tuttl_4278.sample.txt" anywhere. I searched for it with spotlight and there are no results. I don't even understand where or which the "temp" folder it's meant to be in is. Does it mean there is a temp folder at root level? I can't find it.

Thanks

Reaction score
I'm a complete n00b at macs, but I assume the tmp folder is just hidden and it does mean it is a root level.

In the terminal, just do:

cd /tmp
ls

if you see it listed, you can delete it from there. I assume 'rm tuttl_4278.sample.txt' will delete it once you're in the directory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
Try using the 'locate' command in terminal. Unix based systems keep an index of EVERY file on the internal drive, whereas Spotlight does NOT index the system folders and a few other locations...it doesn't want you seeing certain things so you can mistakenly delete them. If you try that locate command, you should be able to find where it is.

OP
J
Reaction score
Try using the 'locate' command in terminal. Unix based systems keep an index of EVERY file on the internal drive, whereas Spotlight does NOT index the system folders and a few other locations...it doesn't want you seeing certain things so you can mistakenly delete them. If you try that locate command, you should be able to find where it is.

Thank you. Unfortunately I don't know at all well about "terminal". I did the above only by following precise instructions.
Since it already said "written to file /tmp/tuttl_4278.sample.txt", does that not tell me where it is? The thing is, I don't so much need to know where it is, as I actually need to open that file. Knowing where it is only is not useful for me in itself. I want to be able to access the file, open it, and read it. How can I do that?

Is it possible to tell me very simply? For example, I thought "written to file /tmp/tuttl_4278.sample.txt" would mean that if I went to "Macintosh HD", I would find a folder "tmp", and in that folder the text file. However I could find no such folder. Was I right to assume that? If I was, then does it mean the folder is hidden? If so, how can I access it? On the other hand, if I was wrong in my assumption, then what does "written to file /tmp/tuttl_4278.sample.txt" mean?

Thank you very much. As I am so ignorant, your help is all very valuable.
Best wishes
Justin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
Justin:
Download the trial of a program called TextMate. It's one of the preferred simple text editors that a lot of code writers on Macs use.

When you install it, it will ask you if you'd like to install terminal functionality for it. Choose yes.

Once you've done this, open a terminal window, and type the following, verbatim:

mate /tmp/tuttl_4278.sample.txt

This will open the tuttl_4278.sample.txt file in a new TextMate window.

Hope this helps.

OP
J
Reaction score
Justin:
Download the trial of a program called TextMate. It's one of the preferred simple text editors that a lot of code writers on Macs use.

When you install it, it will ask you if you'd like to install terminal functionality for it. Choose yes.

Once you've done this, open a terminal window, and type the following, verbatim:

mate /tmp/tuttl_4278.sample.txt

This will open the tuttl_4278.sample.txt file in a new TextMate window.

Hope this helps.

Hi
Thanks. I shall try to do that. But first (and generally), is there not a simpler way to just reveal hidden files/folders? I checked in "view options", but I could see no such option. Also I checked "help" but no luck. Surely there must be a way to simply let us see what files or folders are hidden, i.e. make them visible?

Thank you
Justin

Reaction score
Ok, to find this file open up a finder window of your startup hard drive (not your home folder). Go to the "Go" menu in the menu bar and select Go to Folder. Type tmp and hit enter. Then find the file you are looking for.

OP
J
Reaction score
Ok, to find this file open up a finder window of your startup hard drive (not your home folder). Go to the "Go" menu in the menu bar and select Go to Folder. Type tmp and hit enter. Then find the file you are looking for.

Great. Works. Thank you!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.