Last Mintue Questions...

Reaction score
Hi Guys

after much soul searching and finally having enough gold to purchase the mac i want im all set and ready to go....

but just a few quick questions before i empty my bank account!

Firstly
Ordering Online?

now im in australia is it better to go to a shop that sells MAC(such as a reseller which is located close to my house) or is online purchasing the way to go??

anyone ever had problems with online purchasing before if so whats to avoid?

Second
Waiting?

would it be better for me to wait until next year to purchase a MAC, like would there be better upgrading/newer designs or something coming in the new year? now im not too familar with MAC software/hardware so id just thought id ask before buying one only to discover i could of waited, saved a little more and got the new of the new! a new computer is not A REAL MUST but id really like a better machine than my current PC! so sooner is better!!!!!

Thirdly!
All macs come with Tiger Or Leopard
(dont laugh im noob at this:Angry-Tongue: )
so yeh do they or what? or is tiger the standard and leopard is something id have to purchase and install myself

for those who read thank you!
for those who will reply Xtra Thanx You!

Hope to join the MacCrew Soon
:Evil:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Give the reseller a try and compare prices online and see which is best. Your local dealer will be able to give you more aftersales help tho.

Apple have just introced new chips in to the macbook - your dealer may be able to help. Also see the rumours section about possible new macbooks (inludeding a slim one but with no DVD drive) that may fit your needs.

All new new Macbooks should come with Leopard, as far as software goes, you get a lot of working free software out of the box, itunes for muisc, iDVD and iMovie for Video etc - plus you can make PDFs without any additional softare, that's just the start.

As you find your feet and need to find out about more software, this forum will help you out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 3.06GHz 4Gb RAM, 1Tb HDD; 16Gb iPhone (white); Aluminium MacBook, 2.4Ghz, 4Gb, 500 Gb HDD
Hi

I just went through a similar dilemma before deciding to order my new iMac on-line (UK Apple store). Bad news: It took almost 3 weeks to arrive!! Good news: Apple were able to modify (more RAM, bigger HDD, pre-installed iWork package etc) my iMac before it came, so it all worked 'out the box.'

It actually shipped with the Tiger OS installed, but with a Leopard OS upgrade DVD in the box - not a difficult job to install Leopard and now everything is cool!

In terms of waiting until next year.....that's your call. My view is that there will always be a reason to delay until later...a new OS, new hardware, etc...I just tend to buy what I want when I want it. Your choice!

Good luck

Reaction score
Also see the rumours section about possible new macbooks (inludeding a slim one but with no DVD drive) that may fit your needs.

Could just be me, but a DVD drive is essential these days ... I can't see why Apple would think to leave it out ... but then there's probably some valid reason and I'm a Desktop person anyway. Must be the eternal bid to create a super light and super thing portable.

As far as software goes, you get a lot of working free software out of the box, itunes for muisc, iDVD and iMovie for Video etc

The thought of having iDVD installed on a DVD drive-less Mac sounds wrong ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Hi,

I am an Aussie and purchased my mac through apple online and had no troubles what so ever. It was a smooth process and I even got some personal consultant to email if I had any issues. On the other hand if you wanted to get a mac at a reseller I'd look around for a reseller you trust. And also the reseller you want to use might not have the configuration of the mac you want. (ie the reseller might not have non standard specs macs, but the online store will as they'll custom build it to what you want).

Problems? The only ones I have heard of around here are to do with ordering id numbers. So if you keep all the info you get avbout your pirchase and the id numbers of your purchase etc you'll be just fine.\

Next. If you purchase your mac now it will come with Leopard preinstalled + the leopard discs and ilife 08.

And about waiting for a better mac. If you wait for a better mac, you will always be waiting as macs will continually evolve no matter when you get one. SO my advice is to get one when you really need it. And make sure the one you choose really can do what you need it to + a little more. Cause for me my macs have a useful life time of about 5 years before they are relegated to secondary machines. So for those 5 years you'll probably have the same mac, so a little forward planing is a god idea too. Sure you can get a new mac earlier. It's up to you. But again it's not about the best mac out there, it's about the mac that best suits your needs, specs wise and financially wise.

Last word. Always get the minimum amount of ram with which ever mac you choose. Cause apple's ram prices are hideous. Look around for a good ram seller and buy it from them. You'll save a lot of money. I can recommend umart (www.umart.com.au) as a good place in Aus to get ram from. Sure they are mainly a PC dealer but the ram they sell is kind of universal these days. And I only paid $190 for 2x 1GB kingston sticks for my imac there. I prefer to get a known brand and pay the little extra for it.

And good luck with your purchase. Hope you like your new mac when you get it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 20" 2.4GHz Leopard
Yep pretty much what, above said. I'm from Canberra. Bought mine from Apple store only because it was close and I could get it back to them if any probs. Online was an option but wanted mine NOW. Buying from department store or **** smiths would be just as good in my opinion...Anyway you will not have problems, thats why we buy macs coz they are reliable.
enjoy your mac whichever way you go you will love it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.