• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

math help...please?

Reaction score
trying to help the girlfriends little brother here....It might just be me, but if i can solve this....

peggy sue drives from her house to billy bobs for thanksgiving. she drives at a rate of 20 mph there. billy bobs house is 20 miles away. how fast must she drive home if her avg. speed for the whole trip is 40 mph?

and then theres a note at the bottom:
answer is NOT 60, clearly 20+60/2=40, but you would be driving at 20mph for a longer period of time then you would be @ 60mph.

i feel like a moron being 19 and not being able to do 8th grade math

any help is greatly, greatly appriciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Where's mathogre?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
It shouldn't matter how much time the trip took. She traveled 20 miles going Xmph and 20 miles going 20mph to make an average of 40mph.

I'm not sure how time would fit into the equation at all?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Well, I say:

In order to avg 40 mph for a trip of 40 miles, the trip would have to be completed in 1 hour. Any time over 60 minutes would be something less than 40 mph.
Since the entire 60 minutes was already spent to travel the first 20 miles, it is not possible to avg 40 mph. Unless that is, you have a transporter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
well i don't think you are assuming that the trip takes 1 hour total or it would be impossible. we don't know how long the trip took, we just know that the average speed for the who trip is 40 mph. so the trip might have take 1.25 hours because it took 1 hour to get to Billy Bob's and only .25 hours to get back (80 mph). so then you take the two speeds and average them over the 1.25 hour time period and you should get 40 mph for the whole trip. the problem is the only equation i know is

Distance = speed*time

we don't know the speed or the time of the second part of the trip. we just know the overall average speed, which is comprised of the first part and the second part.

A difficult question for an 8th grader. I will look into it more. just my two cents on how to think about the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2.0GHz Macbook, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD
okay.. after attempting this problem and staring at my paper for about 20 minutes.. i'd say it's not possible..

let's take d=vt for the whole trip, like jdgti said..

we have t=d/v or total time of trip = (40 miles) / (40 mph) = 1.
That means the total time it takes to complete the whole trip is 1 hour, doesn't it? And the first part of the trip took 1 hour..

jdgti, i think you made a mistake because if you it takes 1 hour going 20mph there, and .25 hours going at 80 mph, the average is not 40 mph.. it is 32 mph, because you have to divide by the total time it takes (1.25 hours)

anyways.. i'm pretty certain about this, as it gives 2 variables and 2 equations and there is no solutions to them..

Equation 1: Average Speed = (v1t1 + v2t2)/(t1 + t2)
Equation 2: d2=v2t2
Where v1, t1 are the speed and time getting there and d2,v2,t2 are the distance, speed and time getting back.

edit= if there IS an answer, please let me know.. haha, i hate being wrong.. and it's been known to happen ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
8th grade math problem and you stumped a bunch of computer geeks.. what math is this kid in?

but i second that its not possible, but if there is an answer i would like to know how stupid i am.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Let d be the distance to the Billy Bob's house, T be the time it gets to get there, t be the time it takes to get back, and R be the speed Peggy Sue will travel on the return trip (which is what we want to find out). As we know from elementary mathematics, distance equals rate times time:

d = 20T
T = d/20

d = Rt
t = d/R

Now that we have expressions for T and t, we can come up with an equation that describes the round trip:

2d = 40(T + t)
2d = 40(d/20 + d/R)
2d = 40d(1/20 + 1/R)
1 = 20(R/20R + 20/20R)
20R = 20(R+20)
R = R + 20

Here we have worked our way into a paradox. The reason, simply, is that you have to travel back at an infinite speed to make your average speed 40 mph. This may seem strange, but consider that, the faster your return trip, the quicker you make it, and consequently, this faster speed has a lesser impact on the average speed.

If you traveled the return trip instantaneously, this would be equivalent to traveling double the distance in the same amount of time as the one-way trip. So if the rate of speed of the return trip is infinite, you do indeed get an average speed of 40 mph.

...yeah, a little more advanced than the math I had in 8th grade....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro Unibody 2.66 Ghz and Powerbook G4 1.67 GHz 2.0GB RAM
okay.. after attempting this problem and staring at my paper for about 20 minutes.. i'd say it's not possible..

let's take d=vt for the whole trip, like jdgti said..

we have t=d/v or total time of trip = (40 miles) / (40 mph) = 1.
That means the total time it takes to complete the whole trip is 1 hour, doesn't it? And the first part of the trip took 1 hour..

jdgti, i think you made a mistake because if you it takes 1 hour going 20mph there, and .25 hours going at 80 mph, the average is not 40 mph.. it is 32 mph, because you have to divide by the total time it takes (1.25 hours)

anyways.. i'm pretty certain about this, as it gives 2 variables and 2 equations and there is no solutions to them..

Equation 1: Average Speed = (v1t1 + v2t2)/(t1 + t2)
Equation 2: d2=v2t2
Where v1, t1 are the speed and time getting there and d2,v2,t2 are the distance, speed and time getting back.

edit= if there IS an answer, please let me know.. haha, i hate being wrong.. and it's been known to happen ;)

Oh sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like the answer was 80. I just meant that that was a way of thinking about it. Sorry for the confusing post. But yes, thank you for clarifying.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
abstract algebra

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
So...unless she was driving a moving truck to Billy Bob's, it can't be done. :rimshot:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Where's mathogre?
I was on my way home from doing grocery shopping. Mmm, food. ^_^
Well, I say:

In order to avg 40 mph for a trip of 40 miles, the trip would have to be completed in 1 hour. Any time over 60 minutes would be something less than 40 mph.
Since the entire 60 minutes was already spent to travel the first 20 miles, it is not possible to avg 40 mph. Unless that is, you have a transporter.
Gold star of course!
Let d be the distance to the Billy Bob's house, T be the time it gets to get there, t be the time it takes to get back, and R be the speed Peggy Sue will travel on the return trip (which is what we want to find out). As we know from elementary mathematics, distance equals rate times time:

d = 20T
T = d/20

d = Rt
t = d/R

Now that we have expressions for T and t, we can come up with an equation that describes the round trip:

2d = 40(T + t)
2d = 40(d/20 + d/R)
2d = 40d(1/20 + 1/R)
1 = 20(R/20R + 20/20R)
20R = 20(R+20)
R = R + 20

Here we have worked our way into a paradox. The reason, simply, is that you have to travel back at an infinite speed to make your average speed 40 mph. This may seem strange, but consider that, the faster your return trip, the quicker you make it, and consequently, this faster speed has a lesser impact on the average speed.

If you traveled the return trip instantaneously, this would be equivalent to traveling double the distance in the same amount of time as the one-way trip. So if the rate of speed of the return trip is infinite, you do indeed get an average speed of 40 mph.

...yeah, a little more advanced than the math I had in 8th grade....
That's the Stephen Hawking version. -_^ This one deserves a black hole. You might not see it, but you can measure its effects.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Never did give the teachers the pleasure of spending a bunch of time trying to put formulas to the problems they threw out on occasion without solutions. They enjoy seeing all their students squirm, and I didn't like giving them the pleasure. A little logic sometimes goes a long way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.