New iMac is great but keeps 'losing' broadband connection.

Reaction score
I've just upgraded to a new iMac running Leopard and it's a fine machine.

However, there is one irk.

Out of ever five page I try to browse in Firefox or Safari, I get the 'Try again' dialogue box. If I try again I get the page I want - sometimes - but it makes it very slow.

My broadband connection is fine. I'm running a wireless Airport Express and my iBook never has these problems connecting on the same network.

Someone in the pub said I should erase my DNS server (which is currently set to 10.0.1.1) but I don't seem to able as there is an option to add but not delete this.

As a point of interest my connection says 'AirPort is connected to Apple Network 238f87 and has the IP address 10.0.1.3'.

Does anyone have any clues before I call Apple or call out my local Mac man?

Thanks,

Nigel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
Did you download the latest Leopard update? Maybe that'll fix it.

T

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
That happens to my Macbook just about every day after I come home from work, and it seems to be a curious combination of my router and Airport. I'll get timeouts, and the icon in the menu bar won't have all five 'waves' even though the wireless router is six feet away and a straight shot to the antenna.

I have to turn off wireless, wait a couple of seconds, then turn it back on again. Then everything is fine for awhile until it starts happening more frequently in which case I boot the router. Then things are fine for the duration (until the next day.)

All this while my Dell maintains the wireless connection with a VPN client going. If it got disconnected, the VPN would drop me and I'd have to re-authenticate, but it doesn't unless I boot the router, then everyone's off for awhile.

Very annoying, but I kind of live with it since when it's going, it's FIOS and thus very fast. It doesn't happen at all at the office with their Cisco wireless routers/access points. So it's something between my router and Macbook that isn't right, but isn't show stopping enough to put a lot of thought and energy into diagnosing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I was having the same problem. Ever since I updated to the latest .11 I've had no more problems. (knock on wood)

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for all the cohelp and comments.

I've updated Leopard so it's not that.

Why I don't get is that the G3 iBook runs Firefox/Safari with no probs at all yet the new iMac is having real problems loading pages.

Any more clues?

There must be something quite not right.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.