What does "OS2 software" mean?

Reaction score
Hi Guys and Guyesses,
I have just won an ebay auction for my first Mac desktop machine. I'm cheap so I went for an older G3 B&W to get my toes wet in the Mac waters.
If anyone is interested to look, it's eBay item #170167913134 and it will be about 10 days before I actually get the machine.
The seller didn't give a lot of information in the listing other than that it worked and came with keyboard, mouse and power lead. I sent a question about what operating system was running and the reply was "OS2".
I have no idea what that means.
I have tried Google but apart from seeming to be a bit technical, I can find nothing about it.
Can you guys tell me what it is?
Also, if this software is very old, are there any restrictions on what software I can buy re some software I have seen being machine specific or will any OS 9.2 or OSX (Up to 10.4) be OK?
Cheers,
Steve

Reaction score
I sent a question about what operating system was running and the reply was "OS2". Can you guys tell me what it is?

Must be a typo, though the number 2 is not near the X or say, 9 for OS 9. The original OS on those B/W G3's was OS 8.1 and they can take OS X but I'm not so sure about Tiger ...

Also, if this software is very old, are there any restrictions on what software I can buy re some software I have seen being machine specific or will any OS 9.2 or OSX (Up to 10.4) be OK?

If you want to put OS X onto it, just ensure you install the Firmware Update for that machine:

Power Macintosh G3 (Blue and White) Firmware Update 1.1: Document and Software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Yep must be a misspelling - they mean oS X

There was such a thing as OS2 - an IBM operating sytem and rival to windows - it lost the race and windows won. OS2 will not run on a Mac - there was a project to port it to PPC but it was never finished.

So in summary - the seller means either OS 9 or OS X

By the way - £10 for a computer - not bad

For guides on what you can do with a G3 lo end mac can help

http://lowendmac.com/ppc/g3c.shtml

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I just checked the auction and I bet he means OSX. Too bad he did not say which version but the price looks good for that machine.

Reaction score
Yeah, OS X could mean any of the major releases excepting Leopard. It's all good regardless, but you'll need to source the Install Discs for emergencies.

picture_1-20071118-231546.jpg

Mac OS X versions Cheetah and Puma, Jaguar, Panther, Tiger, and Leopard.

OP
Wabbit
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, Guys.
I guess I'll just have to wait and see but if the OS2 comment was a typo, that's fine 'cos I have been reading up a little about Macs and OS9 or OSX I can live with and learn more as I go along.
Cheers,
Steve

Reaction score
I have another Mac, an older iBook which was bought from eBay and came with OS 9 ... I'm used to 10.4.10 on this iMac and while OS 9 was fine to use, I breathed easier once I'd upgraded it to Mac OS 10.3.9 (Panther) as it's closer to what I'm used to.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.