Macbook: I need advice!

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a new member here, and I've got a story.

Well, it's not much of a story, to be honest. I've been stuck with Windows for a good while now, and have never really stopped having problems with it.
I've spent all night resuscitating myself after a Winsock-induced heart attack, and that's set to change soon.

M'off to college soon, and I'll be getting a Macbook sometime next summer. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to the purchase, but am slighly worried at the thought of the thing getting major hardware updates, or even having Apple announce a new model mere months after I've purchased the **** thing.

Well, that's my enthraling story over with, and with it comes a question.
If I buy it next summer, what are the chances Apple will release a new model within the same year? I know it's technology, and it's a natural progression, but I was also thinking of waiting a little longer to see what happens at Macworld.

Whatever that is.
So there's another question.

Sorry for the unusually vauge questions, i'm just a little confused, and need help!

Cheers guys,

Phil
(can't believe that name wasn't taken)

Reaction score
First of all, do you absolutely need a notebook? If you need to jot down notes in class, old skool tech of notepad and pencil is still the best way to go. Granted, it isn't flashy and can't show you flash movies on the run, but as a point of fact: you can't doodle on a MacBook. That being said, you might consider instead a portable computer, possibly in the form of an HTPC. Or better yet, a slim tower PC, one that offers you ample room within for upgrade of any kind. I hear even a card like the 8800GT can be brought to its knees by something like a game of Crysis. Something for you to think about.

It's all catch 22 when it come to a notebook. You can't cheat your way out of obsolescence, in as much as you can't cheat your way out of an air disaster. People buy a notebook to satify their curiosity, a compulsion, or job requirement. But if I were you I'd just get a MacBook anyway, just to flush it out of the system.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
To answer your question, yes, there will be a new updated one out within months of your purchase. Don't really care when you buy it. Always has been, and will be for the foreseeable future.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
One thing I've learned from the beginning of my career, if you wait until the ultimate computer comes out, you'll never get one. This has been true for high end work stations, PC's, Macs, IBM mainframes, automobiles, avionics, and software. You name it.

Take that as you may in the factors of your decision. I bought a PPC Mac Mini, four months later they updated them came out with Tiger, and included built-in airport and bluetooth. Nearly a year ago I got two second generation Macbooks, and recently they updated them to faster processors, more RAM, and bigger drives. Happens, not losing sleep over it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.