virtual pc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
I want to run windows on my mac, but it's an ibook g4(no intel chip), so my only option is windows virtual pc, but that's also the only one that doesn't have a trial and I don't want to spend £75(ish) on something that may not work, so I was hoping someone might be able to tell me if it will work well(if at all!)

Specs:

-ibook G4
-1.33 GHz PowerPC
-40GB Harddrive(just over 25GB free)
-512mb
-OS x Tiger v10.4.10
-x11 is not installed(I can install it if needed)
-Panther/classic is not installed(prefer not to install it)

Hopefully enough to run windows 95 occasionally? I can free up a bit of space if needed.

If anyone can suggest a similar program that will do the same thing, that would be great too!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Sure, it will run, but VirtualPC is infamous for being ridiculously slow. This isn't Microsoft's fault, as emulating a chip is always going to be slow.

What programs would you like to run? Perhaps somebody who has had experience using that program in VirtualPC could help you out.

Reaction score
I ran Virtual PC and Windows 95 on my 350 megahertz blue-and-white tower, for a few months. The machine was running OS 9. I wanted to learn the ins and outs of Windows — that version, at least.

I downloaded the usual — free — Windows anti-virus/spyware junk on the Mac side and dragged them over to Windows before going on the net with Windows IE and a couple of other Windows browsers. I also downloaded a couple of free word processors. I didn't use it for games; that would have been hopeless. At that time, I think the machine had 256 megabytes of RAM.

I had fun with it learning the registry tricks and playing with RegEdit, turning all the icons into Mac versions.

It wasn't hopelessly slow, and I was surprised at the ease of copying stuff from the Mac side to the Windows side, and vice versa.

The best part was keeping a virgin 95 as a backup. If I badly screwed it up while learning it, all I had to do was trash the one I was using and drag in the other one.

Back then, the word was that the best way to learn Windows is on a Mac because with Virtual PC, Windows is as simple to reload as the calculator app.

I'd say go for it. Virtual PC will run faster on your machine than it did on my older one, and it wasn't slow enough to be unusable.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
^Great thanks, that's really helpful :3 I think I'll splash out on it, hehe.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.