Sharing files between Mac and Windows machines

Reaction score
Hi all

Got two laptops, one a Windows XP (3.0GHZ Pentium 4, 2GB ram) and the other, a 4 month old MacBook Pro. I have both on my network ok but transfering files between the two is painfully slow, like 4MB in 10 minutes. Anyway to speed this up? I've been copying things to DVD/CDs in the meantime but that is taking up too much time to.

Thanks for any help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook / Mac Mini
I'm using a NAS solution and that works pretty good.

Copying directly between Windows and Mac, or even Mac to Mac is painfully slow, but when I take the turn by my Linux based NAS it's much faster.

I think it's got to do with Apple's poor implementation of Samba.

But for large files I generally use a USB harddrive instead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
USB sticks or hard drives are the way to go

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
That 4MB in ten minutes seems a little too slow. Something's wrong with your network. Is it wireless or is the LAN cable too long?

OP
H
Reaction score
That 4MB in ten minutes seems a little too slow. Something's wrong with your network. Is it wireless or is the LAN cable too long?

This computer (the XP) is connected directly to the router and the MBP is wireless. They are connected to a Linksys router.

I guess I should get an external drive again, old one died about a month ago.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.