Macbook Pro Stolen :(

Reaction score
Yesterday, my mac book pro (running leopard) was stolen at the airport :Shouting:

unfortunately I did not have any security programs on the computer that would erased my data id stolen, but I do have some very senitive data.

After giving it some thought I realized that my mail cilent is configured to download new messages from the internet automatically....

Is there anyway I can include some sort of attachment, or apple script that would wipe the computer so the thief does not have access to my condifential data....

this sucks....

thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
No is a strong word. You could create a trojan, email that to one of your accounts and try to make it attractive for the person to execute. Something as simple as an Applescript or command line that removes the user files might work. Note that there hasn't been much success in the area of viruses and trojans against OS X.

If your system was set up to allow you in from another computer and you can find a way to get the IP address it is using, then maybe you can get in that way. Perhaps the ISPs that hold your accounts can tell you the IP address.

Immediately change all passwords for systems you log into. If you have credit and bank accounts on that system, then you should make some calls to find out what you should do about that.

Tips for your future Mac...

Since you travel, you should set up your system so it requires every user to login. With that and turning on FileVault it should make it next to impossible to retrieve information from a stolen system. I don't use FileVault because of performance concerns.

Private information I place in an encrypted disk image created using Disk Utility. It requires a password to use and so if my system is stolen the person can't get into that sensitive information.

There is suppose to be a way to set up firmware login too.

If your content isn't encrypted and the user can't log in, then they can remove the drive to read it or perhaps boot it into firewire disk mode if working with another Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
OP
A
Reaction score
i was thinking along the applescript lines but have no expierence writing script how would i go about it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Reaction score
Reaction score
What a coincidence - mine too!

Amazingly, the exact same thing happened to me at the airport - the exact same day!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2006 | 2011 21.5in iMac-1tb-i5-12gig | iPhone 3gs
Ok which airport?? I'll avoid that one....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.