2 Duals or 2 Quads?

Reaction score
I am about to purchase a Mac Pro. I want to get one of the 3GHz processors, but am unsure if I need the two quads. My biggest concern is that I will get the two duals now and regret it down the road. I am going to using the system now for gaming and web development, but later on I may be using it for video game programming. Any Advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Best rule of thumb:

"Always buy the most computer you can afford."

If you can afford the 8-Core, go for it. There really is no such thing as "too much" power, but there certainly is such a thing as "too little" power.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Best rule of thumb:

"Always buy the most computer you can afford."

If you can afford the 8-Core, go for it. There really is no such thing as "too much" power, but there certainly is such a thing as "too little" power.

Agreed.
I am strongly thinking there will be an update to the Mac Pro line come February or March. The new processors are suppose to be 25% faster according to the rumor thread. If you can wait, there isn't a need to get a computer now anyways. If you can't the Quad 3GHz or 8-Core will be sufficient.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.