Thoughts from an old Dude!

Reaction score
An Old Guy

Well...as a 58 year old guy who raised his children on Macs...and is now close to retirement after using PC's...and being rather proficient....I just bought a 15" macbook pro refurbished....I feel like a little kid. My oldest son is a graphic designer...thanks to me introducing him to Macs 20 years ago.....I would love to become proficient on this beautiful machine...does anybody have any ideas as to how an old dude can get game?

Reaction score
Of all the Mac books out there, David Pogue's Missing Manual series probably is the best.

Robin Williams' Little Mac Book is good, too, and less expensive.

Those links go to Amazon, but despite precautions, they may have dumped me on the Canadian site.

Reaction score
I just got my mac labtop recently also I just experimented with it and I learned how to work it fairly quickly :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1.3 powerbook, OSx 10.4
... how an old dude can get game?

It may be the pond between us but 'get game' doesn't mean anything to me :Confused: - does this mean 'get into gaming' or 'become proficient', or something else?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Old dude to old dude,

The books Brown Study suggested are the best.
The Missing Manual for Leopard isn't expected out until December.

Also, in the Switcher's Hangout, go through the Sticky by eric there. Written by another switcher with some great info. But don't pass up the other stickies either.

As another old dude that had never seen a Mac (except on a trip down the wrong aisle at the computer store) until I bought my MacBook Pro almost a year ago now , you've found the right place. This forum is quite active and has been a great learning tool for me. Still have a long way to go, but you can pick up quite a bit just from reading through the threads here.

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
Did I do right?

I'm a 58 year old computer enthusiast...20 years ago I bought an Apple and it got both of my children interested in computers....over time, in my job, I become fairly pc proficient. Now, I want to have fun again. I have a desktop HP and that takes care of my router situation. I just dropped a bundle on the Macbook Pro...why? I love everything about it. I didn't want a white/black plastic computer....I know that this computer...as my computer graphics son says....is way over my head, but I'm hungry to learn STUFF! I want...since I am close to retirement to see if there is life after 58....and can I do some fun things with a laptop that is too much good stuff.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP w/Intel Core 2 Duo w/Lion, MBA w/Lion, 80GB iPod Video, 32GB iPhone 4, Two 32GB iPads
What exactly is it that you're interested in learning? You're definitely in the right place!! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
My dad is 63 and I gave him one of my old Mac Minis. He seems to like it, and does a few things with it that are best done with a Mac, such as video iChat and iTunes like things with his iPod Shuffle.

Now, if you were a crusty old COBOL programmer that pines for the days of the IBM 3270s and punch cards that'd be one thing. Come to think of it, my dad IS a crusty old COBOL programmer that pines for the days of IBM 3270s. Probably not the punch cards though. I don't think anyone misses those.

Hmm, I'm kind of a crusty old UNIX guy, but then again Mac OS X is UNIX, so I'm not a good example.

You'll be fine with it. ;D

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
Well...I'm definitely not crusty....and definitely want to just do fun stuff again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I'm a 58 year old computer enthusiast...I just dropped a bundle on the Macbook Pro....

My dad is in his late 50's. He doesn't use slang like "drop" nor does he make every other sentence run into the next with an ellipsis.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15" 1GHz 768MB 60GB
My dad is in his late 50's. He doesn't use slang like "drop" nor does he make every other sentence run into the next with an ellipsis.

What was the point of posting that?

Anyway, to the OP: welcome to the Mac world! I'm sure you'll find a ton of fun stuff to do with your new Mac. :)

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
Good for you other "old" dude! I'm chronologically challenged, but I am not in any other way. I don't think Macs are just for....and like...and like....crowd. Also, I don't think they're for...like this guy on PC Magazine said..."for your Mother who doesn't want to be bothered with technical stuff. He goes on to say, that XP with the right amount of intelligence....still affords the computer user with choices and not just brain dead click and point...like the Mac. I heard this tired refrain 20 years ago. I like the simplicity, the beauty, and all over kick-a** way the Macs just run. I'll still have my PC desktop to fiddle with, but it will be nice to run clean and smooth. OH....and, the Macbook Pro is one good looking machine.

OP
jacintosh
Reaction score
I don't know

After using pc's for over 30 years, I was actually excited to come back home to the Mac. I got my kids started on Apple Computers.
My new Macbook Pro came in the mail today. Yes, it is beautiful. But, holy cow! Cut and Paste...Deleting...widgets that seem fairly useless. My email doesn't allow me to load newsgroups. And, it just seems somewhat difficult to get used to the shortcut keys, when the pc mouse handled it so easily. I will withhold judgement for a few more days, but....geez...not even a word processing program comes with this very expensive computer? At least the pc comes with the marginal Microsoft Works. Oh ya...it comes with a trial offer of iWork.....Any other neophyte user feel my pain? I really don't want to send it back....but...I don't know. OH...one last thing...why don't web pages fill the screen? I realize you have all those big shortcuts on the bottom...but it sure seems like a waste of space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro...2.4GHZ intel, 2GB Ram
Once you resize the windows, they will stay that way every time you open the program after that. I understand the software compliment complaint, but I also love that none of the branded crap that come on my PCs makes an appearance on my MBP....The shortcuts are pretty easy to pick up on, the right click got me at first though...You can configure almost anything you want shortcut wise, and overall I think it is easier to use.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My new AMD 64 laptop that cost me quite a lot has a Trial of Office. 90 Day trial at that. My friend just bought a new Core 2 Duo Gateway and paid a lot and still a Trial of Office. Sure it has Works but Works really is not that great.

Give it some time. It might grow on you. In the mean time try NeoOffice for Free or iWork for $79. Might be all you need.

And I have always wondered why they call Windows Windows when everyone runs everything full screen? I like Windows on my desktop. Makes things easier for me anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.