Problem With Startup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
powerbook g4
Hey guys- wondering if someone could answer my question about a problem im having.. I prolly just need to break down and take it to a shop but the closest place is three hours away so im trying to avert that..

This morning when I tried to start up my Powerbook G4, the fan would turn on, the light blue screen would show up but then a clicking sound started and a folder picture showed up in the middle of the screen with a finder icon in the center of it. My biggest fear is that my hard drive crashed but could someone please tell me otherwise and perhaps give me some insight on what to do about the issue.

Thanks

Bobby G
Northwest Born

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
If you are getting a clicking sound combined with the finder icon and lack of booting, Id say your drive has indeed died sir :(

~~ TS ~~

OP
northwestborn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
powerbook g4
is there anything i can do to salvage files- take it to a genius? i dont know much about troubleshooting myself.. some light at the end of my powerbooks tunnel would be nice

M

MacHeadCase

You could take it to a data recovery place but be prepared to pay lots of dough.

Reaction score
if you don't have a current backup of the drive and the HD is dead there isn't much you can do...professional data recovery is expensive....
there are some applications that are supposed to rescue data from HDs but I am no expert for those apps. Maybe there is a member that knows more...
names that pop in my head are disk warrior, tech tool and others...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.