Use right click to create new text documents?

Reaction score
Hello,

As some of you may know i'm a new mac user after years of being a windows user. Well my question is quite simple really.

I do website development among other things, but one thing i always did in windows was go to a project folder>>right click>> and then create a new blank .txt file. So i can just rename it, and add project information or passwords to it.

I can't seem to figure out how to accomplish the same on leopard. Do i really need to open textedit everytime i want to create a text file? It becomes a hassle to me to have to open the program, and then choose the location i want to save the text file in.

I mean if i already have the destination folder open, it bothers me that i need to navigate and find it again to save from textedit.

Anyone have any ideas that might make it easier for me to create new blank text documents while in a folder?

Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
Hello,

As some of you may know i'm a new mac user after years of being a windows user. Well my question is quite simple really.

I do website development among other things, but one thing i always did in windows was go to a project folder>>right click>> and then create a new blank .txt file. So i can just rename it, and add project information or passwords to it.

I can't seem to figure out how to accomplish the same on leopard. Do i really need to open textedit everytime i want to create a text file? It becomes a hassle to me to have to open the program, and then choose the location i want to save the text file in.

I mean if i already have the destination folder open, it bothers me that i need to navigate and find it again to save from textedit.

Anyone have any ideas that might make it easier for me to create new blank text documents while in a folder?

Thank you in advance.

I achieved something like you are after using OpenMenu X. It's been priceless for me and don't really know if Leopard or Tiger can do the same. Maybe it can or maybe it can't ... OpenMenu X is Leopard friendly.

I added TextEdit to my contextual menu using OM X and now I can right-click and invoke a new TextEdit doc. Problem is I haven't figured out how to do this within a folder ... but after the doc has been created you can save it wherever you like .... just navigate using the Save command, to the destination folder of your choice. I realise this isn't perfect but want to share it anyway.

picture_6-20071116-213844.jpg

You'll notice that TextEdit has an arrow to the right of it. That arrow points to all the associated stuff that's part of the app but you don't need to go into that part .... all that's needed is to scroll down to TextEdit and click and a text file will open.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Spawn__Dooley;529302 said:
I achieved something like you are after using OpenMenu X. It's been priceless for me and don't really know if Leopard or Tiger can do the same. Maybe it can or maybe it can't ... OpenMenu X is Leopard friendly.

I added TextEdit to my contextual menu using OM X and now I can right-click and invoke a new TextEdit doc. Problem is I haven't figured out how to do this within a folder ... but after the doc has been created you can save it wherever you like .... just navigate using the Save command, to the destination folder of your choice. I realise this isn't perfect but want to share it anyway.

picture_6-20071116-213844.jpg

You'll notice that TextEdit has an arrow to the right of it. That arrow points to all the associated stuff that's part of the app but you don't need to go into that part .... all that's needed is to scroll down to TextEdit and click and a text file will open.

Thanks for that. I use to use Unsanity's Fruitmenu to expand the contextual menu, but they are dragging their feet on getting it updated for 10.5. This will work nicely until they do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
try NuFile:
http://growlichat.com/NuFile.php

It is very configurable. Can even automatically launch an editor when you create a file. Also can prefil the file from templates you set up (such as html skeletons, etc).

Reaction score
what about using the in-built 'Stickies' app that comes with Leopard. Drag it to the dock and then whenever you need to make quick notes, click it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
make a workflow using Automator and save it as a finder plugin.

Done!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Macbook Pro, 2GB RAM, OSX v10.5
^^
This Automator thing seems pretty cool, but I couldn't figure out how to make it create text files in the current folder upon right-click and select an option from the menu. The closest I could come was designating a predefined folder. Is there a way to make this thing work with the current folder?

OP
D
Reaction score
try NuFile:
http://growlichat.com/NuFile.php

It is very configurable. Can even automatically launch an editor when you create a file. Also can prefil the file from templates you set up (such as html skeletons, etc).

Thank all of you for your replies.

1. Does the above work for leopard?

2. The reason i can't use the stickies is because the most of the folders are on an external drive, and the information i put is important. I need to be able to take the drive, put it on another computer and have the information there.

3. It really really sucks that it's hard to complete such a simple task.

How do i create .css files? I tried using textedit but it doesn't allow me to save files as any type.. says it has to be saved with a certain extension.

In windows all i did was Rightclick>>New .txt file>> and from there i can change the extension to .html, .css, .anything >> open it, add my info and close it.

As far as the automator goes, I'm new to mac so not really sure how to use it. But i'm on a tight deadline for a website and this one simple function to rightclick, is causing me to waste alot of time.

Reaction score
Thanks for that. I use to use Unsanity's Fruitmenu to expand the contextual menu, but they are dragging their feet on getting it updated for 10.5. This will work nicely until they do.

I love OMX .... it comes in so handy for clearing up desktop clutter and believe me, I'm a clearin' up as I type ....

I've added a few URLs and to be able to right-click and select one and see Safari launch right to the page I want is great ... I don't own many 3rd party apps/sys prefs but this was one I jumped at pretty much straight away ....

Reaction score
I found a solution to this problem that works on all version of Mac OS X, its as easy as 2 mouse clicks. It uses a folder with templates for new files and it provides a list to choose from when creating a new file. This is very handy cause you can customize your own templates, especially if your doing web work and need certain templates for specific work.
Check it out here
Create a new file on Mac OS X with two mouse clicks. | Liciniosoares.com
+1 rep for you, jorge. :) You do realize though, that you're replying to a thread from '07? ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.